Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco OM617 Diesel Swap (Harvey)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on Nov 2012 it seems the world ended. Read all the posts and I'm likin' the diesel swap. Curious about the LR tranny. Did LR use this auto tranny in their diesel in the UK? I have a Disco II, may need an engine of lotsa work. I have a VW TDI Gulf 2001 stand tran. People who recommended that car,, said not to buy the auto trans as it had breakdown situations from the torque. ??? any thoughts, anymore, how is the conversion going??Curious in Sag Harbor

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Mudding

Any updates here? I would like to see the finished product!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Three Wheeling

I've often thought about a diesel swap for my D2. The torque of a diesel would make these trucks much more pleasant to drive, and who doesn't enjoy the hum of a deisel while driving down the road?

A couple other engines I have thought about were the small V6s offered by VW and even their 2L 4 cyl engines. Jeep also sold a Grand Cherokee with a MB sourced V6 that would work. There are tuners that provide big gains with little work to the modern diesels. A code along with a bigger turbo and higher flowing injectors can really wake up a disel.

I owned an 05 VW Golf TDi with a 5spd and put over 100k miles on it in 3 very short years. That car is still my favorite of all the vehicles that I have owned, and one I still kick myself for selling. The fuel economy reliability, and performance were all excellent.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
7th Gear
Default diesel disco

I'm awaiting a title to my? disco, then I do believe it would be in my best interest to install a diesel. But which tranny esp with the all wheel drive component?
94 dodge dakota gas guzzler 6cyl,
2001 gulf tdi
2000 LR disco
2000 kawasaki diesel mule.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

BigSky is there any update? As you may recall I was ready to do the same but the wiring/adapter/exhaust/transfer case issuesin combination, overwhelmed me. I ended up putting a rebuilt engine in mine. I feel puny reading your posts!!! Still have the OM617 in my functioning 300CD; love to read an update on your project.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Overlanding

No real updates, had a few things come up which put my swap on hold for now (mainly snowmobile season) anyways, I was originally planning using a 2wd 700r4 and divorcing the t-case, but i think the combination is going to be to long. Now I think I need to get a 4wd 700r4 and keep it married also have to do something with the tranny as i think it might hit the front drive shaft... probably be a couple months before i continue my swap, i'll keep you posted as i go. Thanks for all the support, i want this done as much as you guys.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a video of a Rangie that has been transplanted...

Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Jarek gets 29mpg with his mercedes diesel on 37's
i get 10mpg with my rover v8 on 32's
Agreed....

Duh? No Brainer there. My wife wants to take the rover around town just after I put 50.00 in the tank. I am hesitant as whe likes to go to SEVERAL stores. After my conversion, there will be no issue of sensation of my **** hole cringing at the thought of what GASOLINE will be wasted. So Seriously as the man said previously and not hilltoppersx... Shut up and say something practical and productive or leave it. I will take the 32mpg that jerek M or Jaraslow M gets or had with his conversion prior to all the majic smoke escaping.

On a parallel note of the fuel savings.... on the trail and tough spots it is better to slow and steady than to spin wheels and then ... OMG out of GAS.

Check out my new thread and know that I am ditching my 3.9 lr v8 or AKA Buick 215 for the reliability, stability, longevity and efficiency of the lesser powered but effective 3.0L OM617 Turbo 300D

BTW.. want to buy my 3.9? Strong and reliable but like a good *****.... every time i get up in that bitch, she wants more money.... LOL!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

As I posted before, I have an 83 300CD and a 2000 Disco II for the same project, and will be using a rover 5 speed in place of my current stock auto. I think I have learned all that can be gathered from the Internet since my last post.

I don't really get the "that's not enough torque" comments. Of course I have a 4.0 but the OM617 is a very tunable engine, as opposed to the Disco II engine that can't be tuned at all (it is already set up to run on premium gas, and exhaust and wires make almost no difference). Further, at least where I live, diesel is cheaper than premium and you get many more miles per gallon. The OM617 is easy to work on with a set of hand tools, has no electronics to fail, has abundant parts available, and is a very long lasting engine (I am on my second land rover engine. My Mercedes engine is 32 years old and runs perfectly).

My only issues have been the adapter plate and figuring out how to get by without a fully set up ECU. These are the things that have kept me in limbo, plus the fact that both my rover and the donor mb run great and are inspected and registered. I will watch this thread with a lot of interest. PLEASE DO BETTER THAN JAREK and post details and pictures. You will be my hero.

My. 02 cents worth on the transmission. The Disco II five speed can be gotten for about 1800 shipping included any day of the week. Since it will hit all of the mount points and hook right up to the transfer case, and therefore only needs adapter and clutch to work with the OM617, it seems like a natural choice. Have you moved towards any solution other than the 700r4?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What lr2001silver said

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
I don't agree with any of your negativity DUDE you need to obviously not chime in anymore with that crap, it doesn't help anyone in anyway and help is what this forum is about. So can it, and move on. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all?
Seriously I agree. If you have nothing productive to say..... say NOTHING. I am doing a swap 300D Turbo on my 95 DI mating to R380 Trans. *****!!!!

All you nay sayer s stop wasting bandwidth and readers energy. Be nice or just don't BE. No offense but this forum is about doing and sharing. So DO and share or just STAY THE F#@$ HOME. sorry for caps. Just for effect. Check out my thread. Starting my rip out from donor in the morning. Lots of patience, beer and pics to come. GOOD JOB lr2001silver for taking this project on

Quick Reply: 04 Disco OM617 Diesel Swap (Harvey)