Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco 2 transmission issue / flashing d (in drive)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2003 Disco 2 transmission issue / flashing d (in drive)

I recently purchased a used 2003 disco 2 off eBay. Car has a few issues that I'm trying to fix. It has 106,000 miles. My issue is intermittent , worst kind right. Most of the time when puttimg the transmission in D /drive it's all good. Shifts fine no issues , u can put the shifter in 3rd 2nd and it shows you on the dash the gear ur in..
However SOMETIMES you put the transmission in gear Drive it flashes D on the dash, and continues to flash d. Seems to be stuck in like 3rd gear , sluggish to take off , can't feel any shifting. 60 mph is like 3500 RPM,s
Also when u try and put the transmission in a lower gear like 3,2 it still flashes D and won't down shift. help please I need to find out if this is common and what the fix is. Seems to happen in mornings and maybe moisture related ?? If that makes any sense.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by texmanmoore
I recently purchased a used 2003 disco 2 off eBay. Car has a few issues that I'm trying to fix. It has 106,000 miles. My issue is intermittent , worst kind right. Most of the time when puttimg the transmission in D /drive it's all good. Shifts fine no issues , u can put the shifter in 3rd 2nd and it shows you on the dash the gear ur in..
However SOMETIMES you put the transmission in gear Drive it flashes D on the dash, and continues to flash d. Seems to be stuck in like 3rd gear , sluggish to take off , can't feel any shifting. 60 mph is like 3500 RPM,s
Also when u try and put the transmission in a lower gear like 3,2 it still flashes D and won't down shift. help please I need to find out if this is common and what the fix is. Seems to happen in mornings and maybe moisture related ?? If that makes any sense.
Sounds like it's going into 'limp home mode' i.e 3rd gear only and no gearbox changes. Does the M&S lights come up simultaneously? It could be a few issues, the battery charge is too low, the xyz switch is defective or needs adjusting or just a gearbox ECU glitch.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Drifting

I have never seem any m s lights. Where would they be luminated on the dash ? I do have a check engine light on but so far engine is running smoothly. I looked for this xyz switch. I hear it near the ac evaporator drain it it large and on the frame rail ? I'll check the battery charging. I did put a new battery in after I bought and assume it's charging. Is that was your suggesting the alternator is charging correctly ? Thanks for ur help.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

The XYZ switch is mounted on the driver side of the trans, follow the shift cable to it.

It electronically sends a signal to the computer informing it what gear it is in.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I recently purchased a used 2003 disco 2 off eBay. Car has a few issues that I'm trying to fix. It has 106,000 miles.
Have you checked/changed transmission fluid since you bought it?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Drifting

No I have not. I need to check the fluid level. And should change the fluid. Is old fluid able to cause this problem I'm having ? Thanks

Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check to make sure your battery is good, check to make sure your alt. is putting out at LEAST 13 volts them check your grounds.
there a quite few thing that can cause this problem, XYZ switch being the most expensive.
you are in limp mode because you trans. computer saw less than 13 volts,
I would start with the cheap stuff first.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

No I have not. I need to check the fluid level. And should change the fluid. Is old fluid able to cause this problem I'm having ? Thanks
No. Old fluid would probably not cause the things you describe. But 'no' fluid might. And if you haven't looked you don't know it's in there.

It's the first thing I do when I buy a vehicle is get to know the state of it, as much as possible. Change the fluids as soon as possible. Then, when something crops up, you at least have some standing to work from.

I agree, checking voltage is the quickest cheapest thing to do. Second up would be change the fluid, for my $.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Thank you for the good info

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Be sure to read up (use Search function in this forum) on how to service the transmission. There is no dipstick to check the fluid level up in the engine bay (yes, we all agree this is stupid) and changing the fluid and filter is likely different from any vehicle you've owned previously. Unless it was made in the UK.