Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DII drivetrain vibration mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 01:30 AM
BMW
Drifting

Mine does the same thing at high speeds, my drive shaft history is unknown other than it has greaseable joints that have the zerk on the end caps not the valley.

Expedition Autowerks, a shop that does mainly landrovers, told me the bearing in the front diff was loose and was the cause of my vibration. They recommended installing a used front diff, which I never did. I still plan on doing this unless I find another obvious cause for the vibration, but I am tracking down another worse problem now, that may or may not be related.

Does anyone know if I can remove my front drive shaft and drive the truck for diagnostic purposes? Since the OP has an 04 with CLD I'm not sure if that's the only reason he can drive with no front shaft.

Old 11-15-2012 | 07:42 PM
|
Drifting
Default Tom Woods drive shaft conclusion

So where was I? Oh yeah... I returned the front drive shaft to Tom Woods for them to "triple check" the balance. They said that they had to replace the 5 weight with a 6, but that it wouldn't make that much difference in the vibration. I told them that it didn't vibe much and that I only wanted it to be smooth like the shafts that came stock on the vehicle. I sensed their lack of confidence is being able to give me a properly balanced drive shaft, so I asked them what their recommendation was. They recommended a refund, so I took it. It seems that Tom Woods shafts live up to their reputation as not being balanced for highway use but good for off-road use.

Old 11-15-2012 | 07:48 PM
|
Drifting
Red face Great Basin Rovers (GBR) drive shaft review

After Tom Woods failed to deliver a properly balanced front drive shaft, I decided to poke around a bit and found GBR. I talked to Bill Davis who clearly knows his stuff and is passionate about his craft. He told me how is shop is geared toward quality instead of quantity. He offers 2 front shaft options for the DII -rebuilt factory unit and heavy-duty unit with Spicer parts. After spending considerable time with me, he ended by saying that either would be balanced properly (even the heavier than stock model) and not cause a vibe in my driveline, but that I didn't need to spend the extra $ on the upgrade since my rig never goes off pavement. Bill shipped it out the same day, and it's been smooth sailing up to 100mph since I installed it! New grease fittings, too. Conclusion: I HIGHLY recommended GBR for your drive shaft needs.

Old 11-15-2012 | 09:09 PM
Banned

Its all about how they are balanced and being balanced at 100mph like "CJ TATTON" on ebay claims is a joke. Think about this 100mph in some vehicles is around 4 maybe 5 thousand rpms we balance ours at 10,000 rpms to ensure a perfect balance every time and then after the weight is added we recheck again and then after paint is done we recheck for the third time only if it passes here are they are packaged up for shipping. Quality or quantity is the only way and I see my drive shafts for $300 shipped & this includes the 8 ny-lock nuts that need to be replaced upon each time the drive shaft is removed. I have had ZERO COMPLAINTS whether this is in the trucks that are hitting the trails or the highway