Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
I have that driveshaft as well. Good stuff.
Thats good to hear. I didn’t realize these guys made driveshafts until recently but glad to know folks are using them with good experiences!

Old 11-26-2021, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 11-26 Update

Worked on a few things today. Got the drive shaft installed. Really disappointed with the quality control at GBR. One of the balance weights was knocked off because they just threw it in a box with no packing material. It was pretty trashed by the time it showed up and I had to jb cold weld the weight back on because I don’t have a welder.

In any case, I got it installed, added the diff armor back and cleaned up the front end a bit. Also updated the cost spreadsheet - now pushing $32k.
Build Sheet & Costs

Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Jam nut is loose on drag-link. Yes, it really can't unthread (because other end has lock nut in place and steering stabilizer is bolted to tube)...but...the constant movement/twisting will cause the threads inside tube to wear and eventually allow a dangerous amount of play...and if allowed to continue...could wear the threads to the point the tie-rod will pull out of tube.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Jam nut is loose on drag-link. Yes, it really can't unthread (because other end has lock nut in place and steering stabilizer is bolted to tube)...but...the constant movement/twisting will cause the threads inside tube to wear and eventually allow a dangerous amount of play...and if allowed to continue...could wear the threads to the point the tie-rod will pull out of tube.
Awesome catch. Thanks Deputy!

Old 11-27-2021, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 11-27 Update

Been chasing the P0441 error off and on for the past couple of years. Hyundai part never seemed to resolve it. I found the Bosch part on autohausz for $35 so I went ahead and got it installed. Hopefully that will take care of that issue.

Rest of the weekend I will be clear coating the front bumper and sliders and removing dirt and rust from the under carriage.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 12/10 Update

Just got the Rover back from window tinting and got random misfire errors. I need to do some research on these but if ya’ll have any thoughts on where to start, by all means, chime in!

Old 12-10-2021, 06:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Sounds like coils. Best to do wires at same time. Order an upper intake gasket too, you’ll need to pull that to access the coils

Old 12-10-2021, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

I’d also do a smoke test first just to see if it has vacuum leaks anywhere before taking the intake off

Old 12-11-2021, 02:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

So, it had been running great, you dropped it off and when you picked it up...you got all of these codes in one drive?

Did they do a detail on the rover while there, like wash engine bay or something? That's just weird to get all of those codes...all of a sudden like that.

My first guess...with that many misfire codes, all of a sudden...would be a fuel issue...like a bad tank of gas. That is...if nothing was done, like powerwashing engine...beforehand.

Made the mistake of washing my engine at the car wash, never had a CEL before and always ran great. Nothing crazy, light engine cleaner degreaser, light hose action...no blasting water into spots super crazy. Started it up and had misfire codes like mad, thought...WTF...wash my silverado all the time without the slightest hickup...but...we all know...these LR are what they are. Anyway...drove it until it clear up...and from that day forward...if it spit one raindrop or it was damp out...it misfired. Changed coil packs and wires...but again...my issue was self induced.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Good call deputy. I did wash down the engine bay after the body work because it was covered in dust. So yeah I could have caused this.

I am seeing low voltage on a front O2 sensor so I am going to start there.

Also I had recently cleaned the MAF so I could have messed that up.

Smoke test is a good idea as well and I am thinking that could be after the MAF.

Going to save the coils for last. Too much of a PITA to do first without ruling out the easy stuff.

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild