Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I had one of these and it was OK... The screen would sort of flap around a bit when going over bumps on the highway. Ended up bailing on the whole thing and putting the stock HU back in.
I'm interested in something like this - but unsure of how the rear of the unit will be supported. The original head unit has a rubber nipple that fits in a hole in the back of the console (pic below - circled in yellow). The rubber nipple supports the rear weight of the heed unit. Otherwise, it is only supported by the fragile, brittle, center console bezel in the front. This may be why it would flap around for Brandon.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

I haven’t figured it out yet, but I am planning on making sure it is secured in the back. I’ll post pictures once I make a bit more progress.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I haven’t figured it out yet, but I am planning on making sure it is secured in the back. I’ll post pictures once I make a bit more progress.
Do you plan on using the existing amp?

Old 12-30-2021, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just finished getting everything installed. @Tony Luna I used the existing amp and speakers. Wiring was pretty straightforward. Routing all the cables and fitting the stereo took about three hours but that was mostly because I wanted the cables and the microphone to be hidden from view.

I was able to take the stabilizer bolt off the factory unit and put it on the Boss so that seemed to make it more sturdy. Another thing I noticed is the factory bracket had felt around it which made for a more sturdy fit so I may come back and shim something in there. I still don’t have the steering wheel controls hooked up but I will probably fiddle with that later this weekend. I have the conversion adapter, I just need to call Crutchfield for some technical support.

Overall, it went well and I am pleased with the set up. Next time I take it off-road I will report back on how stable the unit is.

Stabilizer bolt from the factory unit

Bracket installed with mic below

Display installed for testing

Finished product

Old 12-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Winching

Scorpions!!! Love it!

Was there a threaded hole in the right spot in the back of the new unit for the stabilizer/rubber nipple?

Can you send some side shots? Curious as to how close to the bezel it sits when installed.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2021, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes there was a threaded hole in the middle of the Boss unit which fit the bolt directly from the factory unit. It seemed to be aligned but it was really hard to tell with all the wires back there. The Boss unit has less depth than the factory so I may not have it as flush to the bracket as it needs to be. I still have some minor adjustments to make and perhaps getting a longer screw for the rubber nipple connection. I'll pull the display and get some closeups so you can see gaps and side view.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Additional Pics

The Boss unit can adjust up and down. Also is on a ball unit so you can tilt it towards the driver, passenger or center it.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:16 PM
Winching

Thanks!

That looks really trick!

may have to pull the trigger myself (after suspension, diffs, paint, interior…). Of all peeps, you’d know what I mean.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah - getting scary the amount of money I am dumping into this thing, but it’s been fun and I plan on keeping on the road for a while. 😁

Old 12-31-2021, 09:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Yeah - getting scary the amount of money I am dumping into this thing, but it’s been fun and I plan on keeping on the road for a while. 😁
Right behind you…

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild