Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Land Rover Terrible Shaking at 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Land Rover Terrible Shaking at 40 mph

I posted a few weeks ago that my wife ended up off the road and stuck. I was able to get the vehicle back on the road. I had an issue getting the vehicle out of deferential lock. Ended up getting that done and removed the front shaft to have it rebuilt before that fails.

I still have a terrible shake like the vehicle is coming off the road at 40 mph.

I did a quick inspection of suspension and steering components and don't see anything obvious.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Search this forum for "Death Wobble", if this happens when turning, slowing, or braking. An out of balance drive shaft or flex coupler could also do this, if it also happens under non-braking conditions (straight and level cruise, as an example).

See LAND ROVER PARTS - FLEX COUPLING - REAR PROP SHAFT DISCOVERY

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Drifting

It is while going straight.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If not wheel balance (lost weight, etc.), could be rear drive shaft out of balance, or the rubber pad cracked or torn that connects rear shaft to differential. Suppose it could be some of the Death Wobble items, but tthey really sho up when braking (like taking a sharp expressway exit downward curve)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-20-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Mudding

way back when, I had some 11X15's mounted and poorly balanced, manually...at 30mph it would start to shake, by 35 it would take the wheel out of your hands...high speed balancing took care of that! Generally, worn steering componentry makes your tires wear badly. A bent rear drive shaft generally causes vibration and a bent ft shaft can make it wobble. Also, it's generally not a good idea to drive an all wheel drive vehicle w/out the ft , or rear, shaft installed.
I would start w/ tire balancing, as an earlier post suggested. Good luck. Let us know.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

If you had the Disco off road and stuck I am assuming you were in a nice patch of mud, sand, etc.

When it's only at a specific speed going straight it means that you have unbalanced tires/wheels. When the amount of weight that they are off balance reaches a certain point (not too fast not too slow) it causes a similar affect of when a washer is off balance and shakes during the spin cycle.

I would suggest checking for mud and debris all along the inside of your wheels, you'd be surprised how much can get stuck in there. The smallest amount of mud can cause a wobble like you describe, just depends how fast the wheels are moving to cause it.

Hope this can solve your problem!

-ATL

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First inspect your front drive shaft and verify it had been rebuilt/replaced and now has 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints. If that is OK then go to your tire shop have them do a rotate and balance and only hand torques to 102 foot pounds of torque.
Let us know what you find.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default Not quite Death Wobble, but shaking

I am new here! I just bought my dream truck, the 2004 HSE7. Found it in Oakland, CA and drove it back to Houston a couple of weeks ago. My first problem I solved with this forum's help (I replaced the purge valve to pass inspection and get it registered in Texas.) Now, I'm on to my second and third problems. I need to buy at least two new tires, so I've been reading through recommendations.

New problem I need help with:

I get a shake when I'm at 40 mph or higher. There's a slight wobble when I'm braking, also. I wouldn't call it a death wobble (yet). I've never felt like a crash was imminent, but I know the problem could get worse if left unchecked. Is it a problem with the drive shafts? How do I know whether it's the front or rear that is causing the problem?

My inclination is to get the new tires and have them realigned to see if that takes away any wobble or shake. If not, go on to the drive shafts.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Could be various issues. Warped rotors, dry rotted tires, out of alignment, unbalanced tires, under inflated tires, warped rim, etc. you will have to get those issues addressed to figure out. If it's pulling hard to one side, it's probally an alignment issue and the wobble could be a balancing issue. The tires could look fine but the steel band broke inside or the previous owner putting fix a flat in the darn thing. It's more than likely related to one of those issues instead of a drive shaft issue. It would be felt at all speeds. Check your front propshaft to make sure it has been changed and has greasable fittings.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, the resolution of the wobble was a replacement of all the front under carriage bits. Namely the ball joints (those were fun;-), tie rods (track rod and drag link) and a steering damper. After an alignment, the issue was gone. Good luck!