Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Disco - Many Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Disco - Many Problems

I have had my Discovery for about 6 years and I had to replace the engine last year, the original had seized up on me. Everytime I take it in to get the oil changed they tell me it is leaking everywhere (No dripping problems on my driveway though.) Anyway, as you can probably tell I am not mechanically inclined or at least not with cars. I still have the service engine soon light on and the check engine light is intermittent (the red stays on the yellow on-and-off.) Is there anywhere I can get the codes read for cheap? Also the brakes are acting funny, they seem to not work well and occasionally they vibrate through the pedal and everywhere. I had read on another thread that it may be the rotors. What are your experienced thoughts? Finally, the rear windows will not roll down anymore. It started as an intermittent problem and now nothing. Ideas? I would appreciate some feedback and ideas on some problem solving!
Thanks
-T

Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Mudding

Ahhh where to start eh? You can usually get codes read free at Autozone or maybe even Pepboys. Make sure they use the correct code reader ODB II I believe for a 98. Once they have read the codes they can clear them for you. If the dash warnings come back on then you still have one or all of those code issues, if they don't then they were old issues that have already been resolved.

If the brakes "vibrate" through the pedal when you press it then you may have ABS issues as well as pads and rotor issues. Those ABS codes also need to be read but if you are not mechanically inclined it sounds like you should find a good independent LR garage that will not take you for a ride! If you are anywhere near Los Angeles let me know offline and I can recommend one.

good luck,
Alan

Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Resetting the Service Engine Light

by Jay Beale

To reset the emissions warning light on the dash, you need to put a metal pin, approximatly 3/16" in diameter through the hole in the top of the package (ignition must be on). The pin needs to contact the 2 prongs show here, making the connection between them:

by Don Herrero

(This was done on a 96 SE-7)

Time: 15 minutes

Remove the passenger side kick panel and locate the Emission Maintenance Reminder which is the red box. (See fig.1 & 2)

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Remove the box by lifting upward. With the box removed, either peel back the Land Rover sticker or poke a hole through the sticker with a long rod to reset the reminder.

(Fig. 3)

Fig. 3

Installation is the reverse of removal.

If you go to www.discoweb.org and find the "tech" tab on the top of the page, then on the left side of the page there is the tech listings, find the "resetting service..." tab and it has pics.

That will take care of your red Service Soon light.
As for the brakes, pull the fuse to the ABS from the fuse box under the hood and see if the problem goes away, if it does then it is a ABS issue, if not then replace the fuse and have your brakes checked out.
As for the rear windows, the window lift ECU has a crack in it, easy fix.
www.atlanticbritish.com sells a window lift ECU repair kit for about $15.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

The window motors might actually have to be jumped out down near the security system, I tracked mine down there and there was some bad contacts, I jumped them out and voila, as for the brakes thats simple stuff, you just may need some pads and/or rotors, if its not the abs. And that is correct as stated before, it is and OBD II. Any local shop should have one if you can't get to a parts store that does it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks

Awesome guys! I really appreciate the help. Spike, didn't you have a link to some sort of manual we can download? With the windows, both of the switches are loose on either side of the center console, could there just be a short in there? Well, I mean is that likely. I do know how to solder.

Thanks a bunch!
-T

Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just do a search for the RAVE repair manual.

Yes it could just be bad/loose switches, you did not say that in your original post so I went with the most common.