Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Discovery Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Discovery Purchase

Hi, been reading the forum for a while but just now posting as I have a question that hopefully some Discovery owners can help with. Basically I am looking for a second vehicle for the family that will be used primarily as a commuter vehicle to work (about 5 miles each way). I've always loved the rugged looks of the Discovery and really like the idea of picking up one for around $3,000 and using it for a couple of years to commute and then turning it into a hunting vehicle.

Just curious as to how suitable this vehicle is as a daily driver and when things go wrong how expensive it can be to fix. Is it reasonable to think I could keep one running good for 2k -3k per year.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Run while you still can. Once you get one, it will be your new master.

2. Having fixed at dealer is very expensive. But most stuff is DIY in the driveway, with reasonable tools. Look in our technical section for high miles service list of things to do. Oil change every 5K, no matter what kind of super slime over rated oil you run.

3. Discovery 1 has fewer bells and whistles tan D2, and less electronics, more meat in some mechanical areas, easier to fix. In the tech area of Dicovery 1 you will side by side comparison of them.

4. Many of these vehicles have been leased or owned by guys who had plenty of folding money - but the economy changed and they had to decide between oil changes and groceries..... so long term contiued good service records are not the norm. Our high miles club starts at 200K, it is great to nurse one that far. If looking at a vehicle an inspection by a mechanic would be worth your while.

5. These vehicles "suffer" from temperature gauges that are very slow to respond. It will look normal, but actually be much hotter. IMHO this lulls owners into false confidence, so overheating problems are common. Plug in a scanner to read codes and see what kind of heat the engine is really making.

6. Expect mpg in the 14 - 15 range.

7. You can download the entire factory tech manual and owners manual set below, it is called the RAVE.

8. You can use www.statewidelist.com to search for Rovers in your state, in a price range, and it will output craigslist by city in your state. Handy to see what's out there.

9. If you DIY, or use indy shops, you can keep repairs under your budget if you start with a decent one. Salvage yards and dismantlers can provide pre-owned parts, and there are lots of on-line sources.

10. 5 miles will hardly get you warmed up.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-17-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

short commutes with more than 1 stop and go expect 12mpg

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for advice so far. After further looking at the forum I think we will go for one. We can pick the car up for so cheap that if it doesn't work out then at most we might be out 5,000 or so. Definitely worth the risk I think.

I don't know how to work on cars and am not very mechanically inclined so would definitely take it the shop. Would most certainly use an indie shop though and not the dealership.

Really looking forward to finding a good one and taking care of it. Hopefully, it will do the same back.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Mudding

Another piece of advice, check with your regular mechanic to see if they offer free pre purchase inspection., that way you have a good idea how the vehicle overall is. If the seller does not allow that, they are probably hiding something.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Winching

I run about 250 miles a week and get around 18mpg all highway. It will suck it down in off road or city though. I seriously can watch the gauge fall.

Anyway, it has occasional quirks but so far no big problems. Been through the usuals, driveshaft, leaks, SLS, hoses, etc.. I do all the services and flush the coolant and brakes every year. It's been a champ.

Now mind you, I actually like working on it and a lot of things that I find to be normal maintenance may be a major issue with someone else. I had a power steering pump go up at 100k and then the next week noticed my u-joints in the front shaft were on their way out. I had to rebuild the shaft that weekend. So that was a good two weekends under the truck. That would of been enough for some owners to start thinking about selling it. It's all in how you look at it. I love mine and do whatever it takes to keep it rolling ;-)

Taking it to the mountains for Christmas in fact!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Overlanding

I gave Land Rover Unlimited a call here in Houston this morning after reading good reviews of them online here. Very helpful and can take it there for a pre purchase inspection and no matter what would take it there to get serviced and really fixed up after purchase on anything that needs replacing.