Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket coolant gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017 | 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by number9
.....I really wouldn't worry about a small split ...
.... it would be good to raise the bleeder to the higher point....
Don't really worry about the split now....just the waterfall noise is driving me crazy!
Also I was under the impression that the whole point of raising the reservoir for bleeding purposes is for the purpose of making the bleeding screw the lower point, am I missing anything?

Old 02-03-2017 | 12:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RawFaith
I was under the impression that the whole point of raising the reservoir for bleeding purposes is for the purpose of making the bleeding screw the lower point, am I missing anything?
With bleed in current position, you raise reservoir, open petcock, the coolant will take the path of least resistance and flow out of the bleed. Coolant will not flow back through the small hole in thermostat into the engine where it needs to go to displace the air. The design of original system allowed the block and radiator to slowly fill while allowing air to escape from the highest point in the system. Once coolant bled out of bleeder screw you were relatively assured the system was full and any remaining air would make it's way back out through the reservoir. The bleeder screw is meant to bleed coolant not air. Unfortunately putting an inline stat in the system will hinder the flow of coolant to either the radiator or engine during the initial fill and increase the chances of air in the system. Inline stat should have a radiator fill cap as the D1 to service system properly.

Last edited by number9; 02-03-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:40 PM
|
Rock Crawling

just got the glowshift gauge in the mail today. was reading threw the instructions and it talks about T connection ( which i got the 32mm one) or a plug on the block. so now im thinking it would be pretty easy to get the sensor threaded in place of driver side drain plug. is this what the instructions are referring to? or is there another "coolant fluid port" on the block i don't know about? instructions also says the coolant port needs to be threaded in 1/8 NPT. is the drain plug that thread?

Old 02-03-2017 | 11:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
Coolant Fluid Port: Locate a coolant fluid port located on your engine and remove the port plug......is this what the instructions are referring to?......is the drain plug that thread?
If it fits yes. Had my drain plugs out a couple of times doing drains/flushes and they are small NPTs. That's a great idea, might be a good location but looking at the GlowShift install pdf and video the temp probe may be too long. It might hit the inner wall of the block before you could get the threads tight?

You could give it a try and it would be a very good option for others to know about if it works. Unless you hear otherwise doubt few if any have tried before as adverse folks seem to be to removing the plugs during normal drain/flush.

Old 02-04-2017 | 07:40 PM
|
Rock Crawling

when i looked at the glowshift sensor, i was wondering the same thing number9.

ill just stick to installing it on the upper hose for now to reduce the loss of coolant while doing the install. next time i go to drain the block ill test out and see if the sensor goes in fine without hitting anything.

the rep from glowshift told me that the OEM sensor with the two wires coming off it will not work on the glowshift water temp gauge. i guess different resistance readings.