Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning stopped working... read other posts but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning stopped working... read other posts but...

Well I recently went to turn on my A/C and it just blew warm air. I havent used it since last september or october so I can't say it just happened. When I put the temperature low I do not see the rpms going a little higher or feel the compressor "kicking in". I did check the fuse under the hood but not the fuse under the steering wheel. I have read some other posts on this issue but I was wondering if the actual head unit needs replacing. This happened on my 2003 Corvette and I was just thinking that might be the problem and is this typical on Discos? If anyone feels inclined to shed any light new or old, and perhaps make a short list of all the things to check for that would be great. I did see one other post about seeing if the compressor kicks in and I did have a look at it, but I dont see anything exactly kicking in?? Shed more light perhaps? Thanks in advance for any/all who reply because the summer is comming and I already sweat like a pig naturally

I can traverse pot holes like a pro

Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Air conditioning stopped working... read other posts but...

Do you know which one is the A/C compressor? With the engine off open the hood, look for a pump with hoses coming out of it, there will be two. One is your power steering pump and the other is the A/C. The power steering will be low to the ground, the A/C will be up higher, most likely close to your alternator. Its hard to say without knowing if you have a DI or DII.
Once you have found the A/C compressor start the trk and turn on the A/C, do your electric fans run, they are behind the grill. Does your compressor kick on? It will be noisy, you will here it.
Most likely you are low on refidgerant, a $15 DIY fix from AutoZone.
It is normal for refirdgerant to leak out overtime. The best way to prevent this is to run your A/C for 10 min per week, even in the winter time. The seals dry out and then leak, if you use it they stay good.
In the winter time turn the A/C on, turn up the heat and let the compressor run for 10 min or so.
Do this once a week and you will have less trouble with it, and this goes for any car with A/C.
Oh yeah, the best way to defrost your windows in the cold is with the A/C on, A/C works by removing moisture from the air. The less humid the cooler the air.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 PM
4wd Low

Well thats the thing I did'nt really hear the familiar "compressor" sound. The fans work, infact they remind me quite often that they work (does everyones disco seem to rely on its fans alot more then other cars/trucks?). It might have leaked out and I hope thats all it is but does that mean that my seals are possibly FUBARED and will need a proper repair so I'm not re filling it every week? I will run out now even though it is dark to see if I am looking at the same pump and re check the fans. I usually run the AC in winter but I got so used to my other cars doing it automaticly from time to time that I got out of practice. BTW the car is a 2004 Disco. That is what makes me a little sceptical on the re fill theory [&o]

Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

The re-charge kit will have a PSI gauge with it, hook it up and see what it says. If it says that you are good on PSI then its your comprssor, if not then throw in more R-134 and go from there.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: NYChasNOtrails

Well I recently went to turn on my A/C and it just blew warm air. I havent used it since last september or october so I can't say it just happened. When I put the temperature low I do not see the rpms going a little higher or feel the compressor "kicking in". I did check the fuse under the hood but not the fuse under the steering wheel. I have read some other posts on this issue but I was wondering if the actual head unit needs replacing. This happened on my 2003 Corvette and I was just thinking that might be the problem and is this typical on Discos? If anyone feels inclined to shed any light new or old, and perhaps make a short list of all the things to check for that would be great. I did see one other post about seeing if the compressor kicks in and I did have a look at it, but I dont see anything exactly kicking in?? Shed more light perhaps? Thanks in advance for any/all who reply because the summer is comming and I already sweat like a pig naturally

I can traverse pot holes like a pro
Unless you work with someone who knows auto a/c systems, I would suggest you leave well enough along. Based on what sound like a complete lack of knowledge, you could hurt yourself or the system.
If you want to send me your e-mail with your tele. number, I'll be glad to call you this morning and walk you thru a few quick things to check, otherwise go see a mechanic.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
4wd Low

Mike sorry I didnt check the forum for a little while because I had a busy weekend with the kids and mother dearest, but that would be awesome and very helpful. Before I go to bed let me update my post a little bit. I had my wife turn on the climate controll while I was under the hood and I did hear the idle change. I would assume(?) that would be the compressor kicking in. Mike I admittingly know little as far as mechanics go although I have switched out a theromostat in a beemer before! I'm sure with knowledge of what to look for I can manage my way through things. It is a bit hard to see much in the tight engine bay with all the dress up plastic pieces, but I do see and feel the fan going, the idle did change, and the fans inside the car do work. Do I need any special supplies Mike? Re-fil kit? Special ratchets etc? I'd rather be prepared so I don't inconvinience you any further. If you come up with any ideas that maybe I can do on my lunch break tommorow I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks Mike and spike.
2004 DiscoverySE w/ 50k miles and change all stock.

Dan Tumminello
646 401 2683

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Dan-Go to AutoZone, or any other autoparts store and buy a A/C re-charge kit, it will have a hose, PSI gauge and a can of R-134.
Follow the directions and you should be good. If that doesnt work then you are only out $15 or so.
You can do this on your lunch break without getting dirty.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:56 AM
4wd Low

Spike and Mike(ryhmes couldnt resist), I did a little research during my horric inability to sleep tonight and found some sites that discuss ac systems and unless I am mistaken, I dont think the compressor clutch is engaging. The pulley around it turns, but the center(clutch) is not moving. From what I read that can mean that there is not enough refridgerant in the system/ or my compressor crapped out. Does that sound about right as a possibility? I am trying to help you to help me so please dont take my investigations as insult. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Team Owner

Buy the re-charge kit.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
4wd Low

I would advise against buying the auto zone kit. Usually the 134a in the kit contains a sealant of some sort. When the kit doesn't fix the A/C( which it usually won't) and you take it to a mechanic, the mechanic will be very unhappy when that sealant clogs the filter up on his A/C machine. If a customer comes in and mentions that he put some off the shelf stuff in there, we send him away and won't hook up to the system. I've had it happen a couple of times where they didn't say anything and it took my filters out. Then I had some mad customers because I had to tell them that I can't fix their A/C because my machine was down until I could get some new filters in. Just check the basics like power at the fuses, switches, and clutch. I haven't had to mess with the A/C on my Disco yet so I haven't really studied that particular system yet, so I'm not sure what the usual failures are on these trucks.