Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminium coolant expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020 | 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
Had my carrs4x4 aluminum tank start leaking about 6months after install. The plastic for the view disintegrated. Even though I purchased from AB which I forgot, carrs4x4 replaced with much thicker plastic. It looks great but I haven’t installed due to troubleshooting temp issues a few months ago and the plastic tank makes it much easier to see coolant level.
Same here. Here is the issue though... My started leaking again after I replaced the gasket. I have recently switched back to a plastic tank because, frankly, I don't want to have yet another thing in the car that demands attention. The design of all aluminum tanks I've seen has a critical flaw, as the integrity of the tank depends on gaskets and screws. I suppose designs that are more robust will increase the price and limit the number of clients.

Cheers, --mc

Old 12-24-2020 | 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

People wanted a sight glass on the Ali & Carrs4x4 reservoirs. I personally could have lived with a 100% aluminum tank with no window. OEM RRC tanks were black brass tanks and you opened the cap to inspect the level. Same with D1 black reservoirs. Whenever you have something with more options/goodies you will always have more opportunities for a failure.

There was a guy on FB making aluminum blank plates for the Ali & Carrs4x4 reservoirs for like 15.00.

Old 12-24-2020 | 02:57 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jackspratt2
They sell replacements caps on their website ... different colors. Allisport isn't a common brand in the USA. So I highly doubt your shop said this.
I am surprised at your quick assumption. I am familiar with this LR independent repair shop. A number of friends including myself use this shop and also have experience with the Allisport products.

One friend had similar issue with the Allisport sight glass tank. It was installed with a new Turner V8 engine. A few months later, the sight glass leaked when they were offroading and had to tow the truck back to the shop.

Last edited by acg; 12-24-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2020 | 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I wouldn’t say no complaints. There are many owner complaints about AlliSport lacking in quality on their parts for the past couple of years on quite a few Land Rover forums here in the UK.
Really? I can't find any complaints. Google Yahoo Yippy search no complaints, Only from this thread. I found this: https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...switch.155743/

Alli has a sensor alarm. Doubt Alli would be making these products if they were cheap and leaking. Carrs doesn't have an alarm, Maybe they were losing business to Alli. Alli has a great reputation for quality. If these were leaking there would be more complaints and im not seeing any compliants anywhere..