Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for $127?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put one of the My Classic Radiators in my 2000 DII. Got it off eBay $123.00. Been about a year now and have had zero problems with it, and it's HOT here in Alabama. It appeared to be of good quality. It didnt look or feel cheap made to me or I would've sent it back. I doubt it will last as long as the OEM one did, but you never know. The Arnott SLS air bag is sopposed to last longer and be of better quality than the OEM and I sure it's cheaper than the OEM part too. I was willing to give it a shot and am happy with it so far. Happy with my Arnott air bags too.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
Has anyone explored the idea of obtaining and using an upgraded ALL ALUMINUM, (NO PLASTIC TANK), LARGER CAPACITY CROSS FLOW DESIGN, RADIATOR, TO FIT INTO AVAILABLE SPACE? I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO OBTAIN AND USE SUCH A RADIATOR IN THIS ALL ALUMINUM HEAT SENSITIVE ENGINE, SAME AS I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST WITH CLASSIC JAGUARS THAT HAD ORIGINAL RADIATORS TOO SMALL FOR PURPOSE. LONG TERM RESULTS WERE OUTSTANDING, AND I THINK THEY WOULD BE SAME WITH THIS ROVER ENGINE.

Externet has, he doesn't have much of a write up that I can tell, but he installed this and looks promissing.
ALUMINUM RADIATOR GM CHEVY 16" x 28" LOW PROFILE - KMJ Performance

You can find his description in this thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...aranoia-60156/

It has intrigued me, I must say. Looking into myself.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Also i have installed the $127 radiator off Ebay. I did this when I was contemplating selling it. Now that I understand more of the Love/Hate relationships with these trucks I'm keeping it. And when and if this one fails, I will look into more of the All Aluminum option.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just slammed in a new Aluminum Rad this week, 180F thermostat, new waterpump, and new coolant sensor with ultra gauge since my dash crap-o-stat gauge doesnt work. New TB heater and new coolant lines to replace the hard plastic crap.

I also got rid of the Disco 2 fan for a range rover fan from a eary 90s Range and I have no more wobbles after trying 3 disco2 fans with the ring of death around it (usually what causes the wobbles). That thing destroyed my previous owner's waterpump. Btw for some reason DODGE pickup fans made out of metal fins have the same nut size (90s dakotas, durangos, etc) I opted for plastic range fan with a new clutch in the salvage yard this week. Was so new it was shiny metal, plus rust can eat the metal ones.

Love it all right now.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gpelite
I just slammed in a new Aluminum Rad this week, 180F thermostat, new waterpump, and new coolant sensor with ultra gauge since my dash crap-o-stat gauge doesnt work. New TB heater and new coolant lines to replace the hard plastic crap.

I also got rid of the Disco 2 fan for a range rover fan from a eary 90s Range and I have no more wobbles after trying 3 disco2 fans with the ring of death around it (usually what causes the wobbles). That thing destroyed my previous owner's waterpump. Btw for some reason DODGE pickup fans made out of metal fins have the same nut size (90s dakotas, durangos, etc) I opted for plastic range fan with a new clutch in the salvage yard this week. Was so new it was shiny metal, plus rust can eat the metal ones.

Love it all right now.
I'm envisioning a radiator being slammed in. Does this mean it bolted right up in place of the original? Could you provide us with some details on which radiator, How much,.....where you found it, what was involved in installing it, did you use the original shroud or fab a new one, or use nothing,etc. All good stuff for all of us to know. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO any new radiator is better than an old one full of Dexmud (vintage Dexcool), or hard water calcium. You can see why bottom rows are cooler because of clog. The plastic tanks get brittle, not worth pulling off to attempt service. One crack point is the screw mounting boss.

As for fans and clutches, the D1/D2 water pump will also support clutch from late 90's early 2000's Chevy. I have a clutch and much deeper pitch fan from a 2000 Tahoe, trimmed slightly to fit stock fan shroud. $19 at boneyard clutch and fan. Moves a lot of air. Mounted to my $5 boneyard water pump.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for 7?-d2-rad-top-scew-crack.jpg   Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for 7?-rover_rad_1.jpg   Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for 7?-dex-cool-2.jpg   Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for 7?-p1130463.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
I'm envisioning a radiator being slammed in. Does this mean it bolted right up in place of the original? Could you provide us with some details on which radiator, How much,.....where you found it, what was involved in installing it, did you use the original shroud or fab a new one, or use nothing,etc. All good stuff for all of us to know. Thanks.
Yeah the shroud was modded, (the bottom half) but I juse the same shroud. I got the tip from a forum member who did similar work. You can measure out the rad and just get an alum one with all the specs that are the same as the disco rad. Mine is slighting wider than stock and has a pressure vent cap directly on it.

Its a chevy V8 one, when I did begin looking 68 camaro rads seem to be strikingly similar alignments. Personally would change the rad to more specific rover measurements but she sits it there fine for what I got the deal on. I paid like 160 bucks, new, shipped.

By slammed I mean its a beastly thing, had to put in my own mounts and brackets but it was pretty easily done in an afternoon of fitting and getting things just right. I mean if your engine bay is all pristine and you dont like touching things I wouldn't suggest it. My rover was half dead when I got her and modded in odd ways so I ripped out all the stupid stuff the previous owner did to patch up issues.

I believe its a Northern brand rad, but you can look up rads with your measurements of the setup you want and use stock hoses and positions on sites like jegs and whatnot.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Pix, pleeeze...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Winching

gpelite,

....could we possibly get the model number on the radiator you used and some pics of your brackets and mounting points, as well as how you modded your shroud to work with the chevy radiator.

I think ALL of us faced with a radiator replacement, ( which is everyone at some point) would rather put an all Aluminum radiator in instead of the crappy plastic tank units that always fail eventually.

I'm looking at a radiator replacement now, so could really use this info if you have the time.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Winching

Buzz & others interested in an aluminum radiator solution. I just found this in my PMs this afternoon from "Externet" (another forum member). Same Alu Chevy radiator, and lots of pics showing how he mounted it and plumbed it.Once you get to the first linked pic,.....you can use the "previous/next" arrows to scroll through them all.

Link to his pics:
Rubber Cushion And Its GM Part Number Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

Good stuff.

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 07-26-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for $127?