Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM questions

Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM questions

Hi i been having issues with my d2 for a few months and after checking everything we could think of we now thinking the bcm is the problem, i have called land rover of austin and was told that a new bcm runs a few thosands of dollars plus the re-program of it. I have a couple of questions: is it posible to use an used one from.another d2? Is there any numbers that have to match?

Thanks for reading..

Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So tell us what your truck is doing along with any fault code numbers, that makes you think your BCU is bad.
Yes, you can install a used BCU and ECU from the same vehicle without having to reprogram it.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

That dealer you talked to is either marking their stuff up way too much, they are clueless, or they are too lazy to look anything up. List price is $450.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Overlanding

Hi sorry for the late response.. Disco mike the d2 windows wont go up nor shut tge moonroof, engine doesnt turn over,fuel pump doesnt send gas,truck wont lock, shifter lights on shifter dont light up, m&s flash, when pressing the break the shifter wont realease, we used snap-on scanner with the european update and only threw one code tgeb we used a portable code reader from advance auto parts and threw me 3 codes i will post them tomorrow i cant remember them from the top of my head but i wrote them down and kept them at the shop.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Overlanding

Jafir the dealer i called is land rover of austin wheb i called they wanted 2-3 hours of labor for trying to reprogram it, but might not work,when i asked what about a new one they told me it had to be shipped all the way from england?? And the price was a few thousands

Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

codes don't mean squat. You got to diagnose the problem. Just because a ton of stuff goes bad doesn't mean its a fuse box. You need to check to see why its not working. Perhaps you lack power to something or enough power. Get yourself a wiring diagram and start checking powers and grounds. Check for water corrosion in connectors. Make sure all the fuses are good in the entire vehicle. Something is the cause. It may not be the bcm.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Overlanding

Reason why we goin for the bcm is not for the codes.since.non of the codes make any sence. And just like in the new cars when their bcm goes bad it affects the whole thing. I didnt even think this truck had 1 being an 01 had a body control module... The question is? Is there any numbers or letters or something that has to match my old ecm? If i get and ecu and ecm from another land rover do they have to match in anything other than the year and model? do i have to get them reprogrammed? ?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes you do. And because you have issues it may not even program. Try diagnosing it first before throwing money at the problem. You could even have an ignition switch problem causing issues.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default BCM help

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So tell us what your truck is doing along with any fault code numbers, that makes you think your BCU is bad.
Yes, you can install a used BCU and ECU from the same vehicle without having to reprogram it.
Hello, I have a 2000 Land Rover (Holland & Holland), the battery went out so I replaced it no problem. Truck started just fine, was able to reset all the windows but the sunroof and driver side window. Turned truck off locked the doors with the key fob. Now the key fob won’t work so I have to unlock the door with the key. When I try to start the alarm goes off. Dealership said this is a BCM. What do you think?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Holland & Holland is a Range Rover P38. I'd ask in the RR Forum, but BCM failures did happen more on a P38 vs a D2. Also the fuse block under the hood was famous for melting at the fuel pump relay if I remember correctly.

What is the Alarm light doing? Going bananas? When you use the key in the door I think you could do like the old D1 trick and turn it and hold it for a few seconds and that locked the doors, but didn't set the alarm. I'd make sure all the windows are up, close all the doors, lock it, let it fully arm, unlock it and try again.

I had a 97 RR Vitesse and I had the system go nuts a few times, but my remote always worked.