Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinker and Wiper Delay

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blinker and Wiper Delay

Hello,

I have two problems (at least, lol) that I hope you can help with:

1. Wiper delay - for a very long time my wipers have had an issue - when I turn the **** to any setting I can wait from 5 seconds to a minute for the wipers to activate - after that they work normally until I try to turn them on again - the pull for wash and wipe always works.

2. Blinker delay - I recently have put my truck back on the road after a long period of rehabing it and now have this issue - it's winter in Canada so temperatures are around -20 which is below zero for you in F - on really cold days when I put my blinkers on (either direction) there can be a delay of several to many seconds for the light and tick to start - one side will take longer than the other (not consistent though I think) - once the outside temperature or the truck has warmed up the blinkers perform as normal

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ghlight=switch

when the lube for the switch gets cold, it won't make contact. When it warms up inside the truck things work better.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this problem with my turn signals until I had a complete failure to work on one side. I disassembled the switch, cleaned off all the old lube, went over all the metal alloy contacts lightly with emery cloth, added dielectric grease while reassembling the contacts. This fixed my complete failure on one side, and now I do not have the delay in cold weather either I noticed.

So, yes take them a part and clean them up and reassembly. Open them slowly so you can see how the contacts and plastic slides with contacts are assembled before it falls apart in front of you on the work bench. Their is a good write-up with pics on one of the forums, I will see if I can find the link to it.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-18-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Mudding

That's awesome - I'll try that for my blinkers.

Any ideas for my wipers??

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

exact same procedure for your wipers...
Had the same issues. The grease turns gummy in the cold and does allow the contacts to be made.. My switches are perfect now..even in the below zero weather.
I did a couple of write ups with some pictures on both issues. If you do one, to easy just to do them both.
search "wiper switch fix" and the link BUZZ gave you in his response above if you wanted to see some pics before you get into it.
Really an easy job, and if it turns out to be your issue (betting it is, based on your symptoms) you'll have things back together and fully operational in a couple hours.
Let us know if you run into any issues.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've gotta do that fix too. Every winter it does that to me. These trucks are like grumpy old men in the cold!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Mudding

Would this be the same for my horn? Is there a third box for this?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Not exactly. Horns themselves can be faulty, they have a relay that drives them, and the horn buttons operate that relay via the rotary coupler for the steering wheel. You can try unplugging the horn relay in the underhood fuse box and sub another. And you can try this connector, which is ahead of the rotary coupler. Apply a ground to the purple with orange wire and horns should honk. See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rotary coupler plug.pdf (444.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Mudding

Thanks - I'll try both the wiper and blinker fixes!

Thanks for the advice on the horn - it's only ever done that once so I'll keep an eye on it and reference back to your post if it happens again (i.e. not responding randomly when pressed - different on each side)