Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The braking situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
If you have to replace the MC get the unit off of Ebay that has an aluminum housing. It doesn’t seem to have the reservoir seal issues like the OEM design. They were like 60.00 last time I looked online.
...might the one attached be the one you mentioned? it catches my attention the difference in price range, from 60 up to nearly 300s. Let me know, thanks.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
i recently went through something similar to this with a fellow forum member. it really sounds like a vacuum leak in the booster to me, along with a leaking master cylinder or possibly a brake line somewhere further downstream.
you should be able to narrow down the vacuum leak by starting the engine and listening carefully while an assistant presses on the brake pedal. there's a seal between the master cylinder assembly and the brake booster that can lose its effectiveness if brake fluid starts to corrode the outer surface of the booster. there's also the vacuum line from the intake manifold, as you have noted. and don't forget the port where the vacuum line attaches to the booster itself.
after addressing the vacuum leak (and potentially fixing the another problem if your master cylinder is leaking and you replace that at the same time, which i would advise), your pedal should no longer go to the floor once your system has been bled. if it still does, it's time to start checking your calipers and lines for leaks.
Thanks MOLLUSC.I'm concentrating on looking for a vaccum leak in the areas you mentioned. Between the MC & Booster, things look pretty dried, although MC does have a bit of rusty look - heck, pretty much everything on my truck is pretty old and rusty. I will change the valve at the intake manifold and the vaccum line to the booster first, I need to change these anyways. Mechanic that bled it recently said there's no signs of fluid leakage anywhere, so I'm confident the issue must be in the engine area. I'll check with soapy mix later in the day, hopefully I can report back that I've found the problem. For the time being, pedal sinks slowly to the bottom when pressed, so I will keep treading lightly. Thanks again. ;-]#

Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...might the one attached be the one you mentioned? it catches my attention the difference in price range, from 60 up to nearly 300s. Let me know, thanks.
Yes that is exactly the one I’m referring to.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (03-26-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Winching

Hello Roverers...

Update on the Braking Situation... master cylinder & booster replaced by the end of last week, and finally recovered braking power; although brakes feel spongy, and thought it would now brake as soon as i stepped on the pedal, but no, it travels almost about past halfway point before I actually feel it braking, but it sure improved a whole lot.

I will attempt solving the 3-Amigos & ABS issue, the repair guy showed me the codes his reader read, please see the pic and feel free to give any input, thanks!