Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken off piece inside the Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken off piece inside the Plenum

I was cleaning out the PCV system and broke off a piece in the plenum:

Intake Manifold Fitting PCV Hose To Valve Cover (Genuine Part # ERR6880) - Land Rover miscellaneous from Atlantic British

Thanks to ACAMOTO I found a replacement brass fitting from Lowe's and I think that it will work great. However, half of my plastic fitting is still stuck inside the plenum and I am struggling with how to get it out. Check out the photo below (It's not my Rover, it's potxoli's. I would send a picture of mine except that it is currently Jimmy Rigged in order to drive right now with a smaller brass fitting fitted in backwards)

If you look in the photo, that one is broken off so the shoulders of the plastic piece are still attached, mine is broken off WITHOUT the 14mm shoulders and nearly sheared off from the plenum. (I know now that you don't tighten plastic pieces with a box wrench as tight as you would to metal pieces...)

Any ideas on how to get it out...? It does have teflon tape around the threads so it should make it easier, but I did put a little torque on it when I broke it off. I have tried to epoxy a metal bolt that fit inside the broken piece snugly and then pull it out, but the epoxy didn't bond to the bolt very well.

Today I am trying to buy a reverse threaded screw, but the opening inside is around 8-10mm and I will need a large gauge reverse threaded screw.

Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

screw extractor, flat blade screw driver heated with torch and shoved in there, etc. Try not to get pieces inside the plenum.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try and Melt it Out with a Soldering Iron. Get it soft so you can use some needle nose pliers to remove the melted plastic.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

When I broke mine changing the plug wires a few years ago I just stuck a paring knife or a kitchen knife inside it and backed it out. The knife cut into the plastic enough to get a grip. Your mileage may vary. But when you get it out replace it with a brass version from Lowe's, The Home Depot or somewhere like that. Look in plumbing. It's an identical replacement.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

easy out!

Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

can you stuff a rag into the plenum to the point where the rest of the plastic is?
Maybe then a steel bolt run in until it contacts the rest of the plastic and then if the bolt cranks easy it will force out the plastic.

But, I like the better way of extracting it with a butter knife or a wide screw driver first - trying to get it out the way it came in.

And soldering iron or torch is not a bad idea to melt it.
I would run a bolt thru the hole when you finally get the remains out to clean the threads so that you don't have trouble putting in the new part.