New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Disco or RR (first car)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Disco or RR (first car)

Hello everyone, I am brand new to these forums so I would like to introduce myself. I am 16 and am interested in buying an '04 discovery or an '03 range rover. I know that no land rover is fit for a first car, but growing up, my Dad always had discoverys (A D1, A couple D2's and an LR3). So, as you can imagine, I grew up always wanting to buy one for myself. Now that the time has come, I am deciding between the two. To be honest, I wont be doing much off roading, instead I would like to know which car is cheaper to maintain and is less likely to have a catastrophic issue. Being as young as I am, I cant run into an 8k transmission replacement on my way to school or I would have to sell the car as-is.

So, if you were me, which car would you choose if you're focused on reliability, good looks, and cool features?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I must say, no to either, because they are extremely high maintenance and at your age and with go to school, you should be spending all you time with school and save your money for one of them after you graduate from college.

The following users liked this post:
HBW1020 (08-08-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default + 1

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I must say, no to either, because they are extremely high maintenance and at your age and with go to school, you should be spending all you time with school and save your money for one of them after you graduate from college.

While these look like exciting vehicles to own, run and fix do yourself a favor and get something cool but economical and easy to fix. Cheap repair costs and easy to find parts are the way to go.

I loved my chevy straight six pick up truck in highschool. I could car pool with another classmate, got great gas mileage, and we could park on the lawns at games that were sold out, sit in the bed and tailgate. Plus when I had my first crashes simply based on inexperience it was no big deal. And I wasn't pressured to drive around tons of people.

Keep costs low. And maybe your parents will pass the loot onto you in other ways like wheels, stereos and other things that making a good choices fun too.