Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow. Like Alex, Cannibal has always been my backup plan, too. No knock on Turner, but Cannibal is just a few hours away. They've been super helpful on the phone even when I clearly wasn't buying, and with things they had to go look up! I've even googled the trip when I was in the depths of engine despair. I've dreamed of that top hat goodness. The only thing that has stopped me is the pipe dream of a diesel power plant.

But hey, Erik and Justin know their stuff. No disrespect to the OP either but another first hand account, from great guys, Rover enthusiasts, and forum sponsors really, really, raises my alarm bells and causes me to clutch my wallet tight. I hope this is resolved as it should be.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Brent (OP) has been amazingly patient with this as a whole. I offered to start these threads myself after seeing the issues with this motor first hand at Winter Romp. He wanted to wait to give time for them to make it right.

I'm not the expert that Justin and Erik are, but I can tell a motor that is not right. That motor was in no way right and had a foot in the grave.

When he says the bill was padded I believe him. When I was putting something inside his Disco(one really clean nice Disco 1 by the way) I commented on how he had the cleanest factory floor mats I had ever seen. They were gleaming, he told me you should see how much I was charged to have them that clean. Then he showed me, it made me sick.

I saw the communications between him and the shop and it was sad. He just wanted the truck to be what was promised nothing more. He didn't even care about the rest. He simply is the guy that wants the deal he shook on.

There have been other threads on her about Cannibal being a trainwreck. One in particular stands out in my mind, if you find it you'll notice that one person deleted his comments why I don't know but I can still see them as a moderator. I did some looking on LRO and found another thread where valve springs were snapping left and right. The complaints are out there if you look.

So I would look around before you start trying to slam the OP as a disgruntled customer, he did more than his fair share to resolve this without going public.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 03-10-2016 at 11:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ArmyRover:
coors (03-11-2016), drowssap (03-11-2016), TRIARII (03-15-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Dave,
The truck is in our shop (Lucky 8) as we speak. We took those pictures. I know the OP personally and he has made a valiant effort and has been a hell of a lot nicer about it than I ever would've been. He has been beyond patient in waiting for a resolution to this. It was miraculous however that he received a response from Cannibal not but a few hours after he went public with this.

Just for the record I have not reached out to Steve on this until this morning. I dont know know if he has seen this or not but he has it now and he can handle his business. I am glad to see some validation to the issue now from you and ArmyRover and hope a fair resolution takes place. The proof is in the pudding on how this gets resolved. Hopefully all parties come to a fair solution.

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 03-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Just for the record I have not reached out to Steve on this until this morning. I dont know know if he has seen this or not but he has it now and he can handle his business. I am glad to see some validation to the issue now from you and ArmyRover and hope a fair resolution takes place. The proof is in the pudding on how this gets resolved. Hopefully all parties come to a fair solution.
IMHO, the only fair resolution is to stand behind the 18-month unlimited mileage warranty.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
IMHO, the only fair resolution is to stand behind the 18-month unlimited mileage warranty.

I would agree 100%! Hopefully this is the case.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

The only question is(for me), do they replace just the front cover or the whole motor?

I would want a completely new motor. Who knows what premature wear has occurred due to oil pressure issues.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

I agree, I would want a new engine also. A dicked up oil pump not putting out enough oil pressure will add wear to every part of the engine, and in the most important stage in the engines life; the break-in period.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok I have heard from Steve and there is a hell of lot more to this story than what is posted here. Steve had health issues during some of this in Sept. and that is why there was a short time of lack of communication, while Steve was out of commission. How about the fact that the front cover is extremely rare and Brent was aware of the sourcing issues with this. Interesting how it was supplied and what Steve did to get it to Brent. Also how about the fact that the truck was fine for 1500miles journey home home...lots of stuff that is not on this thread that the owner and Steve and now I know. Details not needed for for all except the parties that matter, but there are many. Lucky8 folks plz talk to Steve you will see how this was handled and appreciate it as a business owner. He is not out to screw anyone. I hope you do connect as both of you take care of my D2 crap and both of you have integrity and honesty and take care of customers, like the other reputable vendors you and I both deal with. I am surprised your paths have not crossed up to now honestly. Here is the Bottomline, they have a game plan and all the crap here is just crap. Steve was not aware of this thread until I sent it to him today. To my point communication was bad and now people want to trash Cannibal. So ridiculous that this got out of hand. I think Brent you need to add a post on what Steve is going to do and make this right, personally. You know what kind of person Steve is. There is no reason to trash a man and his business over internet frenzy bull****. There are others interested in motors and this entire thread is out of hand in my opinion. We are human. PArts break and can be crap as I have seen from BMW porshe and landrover. How many radiators are bad before a good one... etc...people can have issues that come up like health problems etc...it is all about how things get handled!
I am not going to speak for Steve that is his business, but as I told Steve if you told the customer to stick it and did not take interest in making things right I would also point that out. Steve is a good person and wants to make this right. To anyone looking at this that wonders if Cannibal is a option to look at. Call Steve and mention your concern. you will see first hand what kind of person he is and more importantly why you should consider his motors. He does care and he does stand behind the product which is made with best materials and best know how out there. This is all I got to say on this matter and yes I do take a personal interest in Cannibal. Why? I know and have known for a few years why I bought from them and what if I have a problem, how it will be handled. I can guarantee 110% Steve will take care of it! Geez I got to get back to work...

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (11-29-2018)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

#tapegate

Old 03-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I've spent many years in the automotive service world. Yes, some rebuilds suck, and some rebuilds are done poorly.

1. The OP (regardless of how patient he has been with Cannibal) OWES it to us, Cannibal, and the rest of the internet a full explanation and break down of what happened. Even with screen shots of the bill etc. He made that commitment when he came on here and made a negative post about an experience with a business.

2. Cannibal needs to answer this publicly if they don't want to loose business.

Now no matter how much either part explains the situation, we still won't have all the facts. BUT, we may at least be able to make valuable decisions based on that information.

I will say, if Steve had medical issues, I would hope that he disclosed this to the OP as soon as he found out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!