Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley - Harmonic balancer - mud dirt plate loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley - Harmonic balancer - mud dirt plate loose

I have a 1999 Discovery II with the Bosch motor. I recently had an issue where the belt tensioner broke out of the bracket. During that event the belt must have wrapped around the harmonic balancer and nudged the mud and dirt guard loose, I replaced the bracket and got everything resolved however that dirt guard its rattling around. So I'm wondering do I need to pull the harmonic balancer and remove the guard or is there a way to reseat it on the back of the hb pully?

Thanks for any tips on this.

First post btw

Cheers!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

One way for removal has been stated to unplug the fuel pump relay, and attach a breaker bar to the large bolt. Brace bar against ground, and bump starter, Others have fabricated "holders" to fit into the pulley and brace it while using a breaker bar and pipe extension to remove the nut.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Issue resolved!

Well I have a simple fix without removing the harmonic balancer, although its NOT for everyone as it could be VERY dangerous if not familiar with the dangers of operating a metal lathe. If not done correctly the screwdriver could become a missile and damage you or your vehicle.

I simply started the engine, from the underside of the engine(Use a full face shield) you can see the dirt/mud guard on the back of the harmonic balancer, I sprayed a little lube on the outer edge of the guard so it slides nicely(against the screwdriver), and using a long heavy flat tip screwdriver I inserted it on the drivers side(left) between the block and the guard then slowly applied pressure to the guard until it was tightly re-seated. Problem solved and it only took a couple minutes to fix.

Cheers!