Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D & their Crower cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zing!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

$200 total kinda sucks. If I needed it now I think I'd just go with a stock 4.6 cam, but I'm cheap. If nothing else, you know you are getting a well made camshaft from a reputable supplier rather than some rebaged junk sourced from India or China.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

or send an email off to GPR was they put HP cams in all their rebuilds, they probably have a box of them.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
or send an email off to GPR was they put HP cams in all their rebuilds, they probably have a box of them.
I did email them with no response.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

You may want to consider sending a used cam to Delta Camshaft and having them weld/regrind it to your specs. I've used them in the past and they are high quality and quick turn around. They include a t-shirt with purchase too Delta Camshaft

I haven't used them for a rover cam yet.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:54 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
... otherwise you are basically putting a bigger mouth on the same size straw. all an engine is is an airpump, bigger cam, more air, more flow...in AND out, or gains will be minimal. if you just swap a cam, you are throwing your money away.
Originally Posted by grandkodiak
...If its done literally just by swapping the cam its going to run like crap, the computer is going to relearn how to run back at its baseline and all will be for naught.
Resurrecting this thread, as I'm dealing with high NOx levels and trying to narrow down whether my cam is to blame (thread on my emissions woes here...). I have a '99 D1 (4.0 V8) that the previous owner swapped a 4.6 V8 into, along with a level 2 crower cam (53229). As far as I know, the engine is bone stock otherwise. I've never installed an aftermarket cam, so my knowledge on them is pretty limited - are you essentially saying that by dropping in a performance cam without doing making any of the other adjustments discussed in this thread, you're effectively just pulling more air into the engine? Or is that an oversimplification? My fuel trims pretty much look healthy so I haven't definitively determined that my engine is running lean, but that'd be the usual reason for high NOx. O2 sensors, cats, and fuel injectors are all brand new / seem to be doing their job.

Also re: your second quote, are you just referring to long term trims recalibrating themselves over time to compensate for the increased airflow - and in turn, the engine running like a stock one anyway?

To anyone else viewing this... on the off-chance you have a 4.6 with a level 2 crower cam in it and you've been able to pass emissions, please drop me a DM if you wouldn't mind me picking your brain. I've scoured the forums and haven't found anyone who's made this swap in a state that requires emissions tests...