Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Diagnostic Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default D2 Diagnostic Tools

It would be helpful and interesting for members to post what diagnostic tools they use and what they actually do. Many purely diagnose certain areas and clear codes, some diagnose all areas and clear codes and the better tools diagnose, clear codes and activate components and reprogram ECU's. There are so many different makes on the market and within any given make there are different models and capabilities. A synopsis of the most popular and reasonable may be useful data for others.

I'll kick off with mine:

Autel MaxiDiag MD702 Price circa $400
  1. Diagnoses all areas and clears codes.
  2. Cannot activate components.
  3. Cannot reprogram ECU's
  4. Live data mode.
  5. Latest operating software increases scope of diagnostics power.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elm 324 bluetooth ~$35 US Used with my Android smartphone the Torque app is $5-$6 Something

Monitors OBDII port.
I have coolant temp, Speed, Computer and GPS plus other variables on the screen when I'm driving
Pro's
Does OBDII diags and clears faults.
Graphing of variables
Mapping
Testing
Can have several profiles for different vehicles.
No reprogramming capability( I don't believe)
Best part, no cables unless I'm charging the smartphone

So If you have a smartphone then less than $50,,, a monitor can be had.
I use an old phone that I unlocked , It also has navagation USA and Europe , international phone capabilities(Pay by the Minute) And a camera.
Total multitasking tool.

Cons
Sometimes the bluetooth disconnects ( probably my old phone)

Last edited by slabrat; 11-11-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Autologic-

1- reads, clears, and gives probable causes for all codes
2- activates components
3- reprogram/reset ECUs
4- resets adaptive values(same as #3 I guess)
5- live data(only under 5 MPH)
6- customizes preferences(daytime running lights, locking sequences, SLS ride height, etc.)
7- programs remotes
8- able to buy and install performance software upgrades
9- for an extra $1200 USD a year comes with 12 hour a day telephone support to Land Rover technicians,software upgrades, and access to autologic forum.
10- works on all Land Rover models
11- hefty entrance fee...
12- maybe more, haven't completely figured it out.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've used hawkeye on D2 and LR3, until I sold it a few months ago.

On D2 other than basic reading and clearing codes, it can read live data, change settings in many of the computers, including adding remotes, changing from SLS to coils, resetting adaptive data in the computers, adjusting security options. It will NOT sync the ECM to the BCU or sync mileage from BCU to odometer unless they've added these features recently.

On LR3 it will read live data, reset adaptive data, reset maintenance intervals, and communicate to most computers for reading and clearing codes, but it is unable to edit the CCF or update software on the computers. It has routines for the parking brake if I recall correctly.

I've currently got a nanocom for D2 and LR3
for D2 it will display live data, log data to a CSV on an SD card, adjust most every setting, sync ECM/BCU, synv BCU/Odometer, reset adaptive data, and supposedly on TD5 it can program the ECM, if they are the newer types that can be flashed. It cannot flash the Bosch Motronics ECM for the V8 cars.

For LR3 the nanocom can read and clear codes from all of the computers, read live data from many of them, edit the CCF, update firmware on the computers, etc. It can reset the service indicator, but it only supports the European version, though I'm not exactly sure how that differs from North America. It has routines for servicing the parking brake and the air suspension and also has a tool for calibrating the transfer case control module. I don't know if they've added resetting adaptive data yet, but they have added remote programming in the latest beta release.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Hawkeye Diagnostic Tool For Land Rovers - Base Model
Item: BA5070 Discovery Series II | '99 - '04 | Covers Discovery Series II Without Additional Cables Or Dongles
In Stock: Sale Price: $499.95

Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

autel 619 it can do all the basic stuff along with code reading for abs and srs.

I also have the bluetooth adapter and torque app. I'm looking adding a Android OS head unit then I can use it much like a ultra gauge.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
autel 619 it can do all the basic stuff along with code reading for abs and srs.

I also have the bluetooth adapter and torque app. I'm looking adding a Android OS head unit then I can use it much like a ultra gauge.
My ELM 324 Bluetooth OBD adapter works great for real time monitoring as well as the other functions I listed in here Above in post.

Not sure about other BT devices but this one works great especially for the price.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

The one I have works very well also. Just need to decide on the head unit to go with it.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Drifting

I use the Autel 619. It does everything I need it to do, including diagnosis on the ABS system. Used it to fix and clear my three amigos.

$130 shipped from amazon.

The following users liked this post:
thelawgoddess (11-13-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by slabrat
Elm 324 bluetooth ~$35 US Used with my Android smartphone the Torque app is $5-$6 Something

Monitors OBDII port.
I have coolant temp, Speed, Computer and GPS plus other variables on the screen when I'm driving
Pro's
Does OBDII diags and clears faults.
Graphing of variables
Mapping
Testing
Can have several profiles for different vehicles.
No reprogramming capability( I don't believe)
Best part, no cables unless I'm charging the smartphone

So If you have a smartphone then less than $50,,, a monitor can be had.
I use an old phone that I unlocked , It also has navagation USA and Europe , international phone capabilities(Pay by the Minute) And a camera.
Total multitasking tool.

Cons
Sometimes the bluetooth disconnects ( probably my old phone)
Speaking of ELM 327 bluetooth, how about this for prices

HHOBD ELM327 Car Bluetooth OBD2 Auto CAN BUS Scanner Tool Android - US$5.99

All the replies, for which I am grateful to you guys, gives the uninitiated the opportunity to select and decide on a diagnostic system for their needs and budget. I personally think this info is invaluable rather than them trawling the web reading confusing data and there's nothing as good as first hand experiences and info. Many thanks guys and keep em coming. What motivated this thread was reading here about someone what wanted a recommendation of what kit to buy.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: D2 Diagnostic Tools