Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery Issues...

All,
I replaced my battery last month with a top of the line Bosch and it is still dying on me periodically. I have pulled out several fuses which appeared to work for a few weeks but now the problem persists again. I added an ARB brushguard but no lights so I removed the fuse for the fog lights and I also pulled the trailer light fuses. This temporarily corrected the issue I was having with the battery dying periodically.

The other day my girlfriend drove it and she somehow set off the alarm (yes I am blaming her!!!) and the end result was that I had to jump it again. I guess the alarm killed the battery!? Is there a setting that I can check that will tell me if the alarm's systemdisable function is actually working? Better yet, what is the best way to test to see if there is a short in the system and something else is drawing on the battery?

Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Dead Battery Issues...

The battery caused your alarm to act up not the other way around.
First stop pulling all your fuses, inspect, clean and tighten all cables and grounds including the alternator, then go to your favorite auto part store, have the battery and alternator tested make sure they do a load test, this will most likely show a problem.
By the way, what make battery and cold crank rating did you put in your truck?
Mike

Old 01-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Overlanding

Mike,
The battery is a Bosch with 850 CCA's. I had to replace the old battery which was completely dead but even with the new Bosch, it still dies pretty much every night. I took the battery back to Pep Boys and they did the load test and whatever else they do...they decided that it was an issue with something drawing on this new battery so the obvious choice for me was to start pulling fuses that affected parts of the truck that have been modified. They claimed that the battery was hold its charge so they wouldn't replace it.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Do you have a hand held volt meter, if so see how many amps are being drawn, both when the engine is cold and after driving while the engine is hot. That is an awful lot to be drawing off the battery. I wonder if you have a short in your alternator, this could draw you down and is a little common.
Mike

Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Overlanding

I wondered this too, but the rocket scientist at Pep Boys seemed to think that it was not the issue because the alternator is not doing anything when the truck is at rest...Could it be that there is a Gremlin living in my engine compartment that is trying to spite me every night?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Well hopefully we will get you to find some one other then Pep Boys, they don't know squat.
One simple test to rull this out is to unhook the wires from the batterey to the alternator at night and see what happens in the morning.
Mike