Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did US Disco 2s come with a valet key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did US Disco 2s come with a valet key?

I bought my 2000 Disco td5 with two remote keys. Both work fine, but I like to also have a valet key (no remote buttons) stashed in my affairs. Independent locksmiths won't touch my Disco 2 and have no key blanks for it . Here in France, the LR dealer wants €120, mechanic's cost, for another remote key. Then we have to program the blank key with a laptop in the shop. That's expensive, but not too outrageous compared to, say, an EFI computer or ignition module for a 3.5 v8.

But the thing is that I don't want another remote key, I just want a valet key. This got me to wondering if our Discos even ever came with valet keys. I know that most new french and german cars here do and have for years. But what about LRs? Maybe I'm looking for something that does not exist for LRs.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 AM
Drifting

There is a related thread out here on keys. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...problem-18022/

I already went the route suggested there by having a locksmith cut me a non-chip key that fits and turns the locks. I can unlock the door with it, but the alarm goes off. I can turn the ignition with it, but the starter does not work. In engineering terms, it's suboptimal.

My attempts to find a key confirm that other information in that thread is correct: The remote keys have no transponder chip in them. But it does have circuitry that apparently talks to the car, because the car will not start without that remote key.

The locksmith gave up in disgust and did not charge me anything. I should have offered to buy that key from him cheap, so I could experiment with it. I wonder if I held the stardard key near the ignition, would the non-chip key then start the motor? Hmmm

Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Would not think so, as owners manual say keys open all doors, and mentions nothing about valet function. The sensor coil around the ignition switch has to cause the embedded device in the key to exchange information, so a metal only key would not crank truck, that's what keeps locksmiths away. Valet not much use if they can't crank truck.

If you carry something in the glove box you don't want the parking attendant to see ( in the US that could be fire arms, Ipods, etc.), and glove box or console has a key (i have an old truck, not a new flashy one) consider rekeying that. Or one of those metal stowage boxes that bolt into the back area, like a safe, or a pelican case with a padlock. I would point out that cases in sight that look expensive invite smash and grab. Lost a side window outside a hotel for my big "flight case", hope they like all the tech manuals and blue prints they found inside....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 keys.pdf (569.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: pdf
coil 2.pdf (528.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-31-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can get key blanks on line, ebay has them for $9us. They work fine on my 2000 disco, the only problem I had is it is a double sided key. And you have to make sure the locksmith flips both keys when cutting (at least I did) because they are not a perfect match from side to side. But yes; you should be able to use a blank off line in place of your remote, I do.

So I guess this also means that a 2000 disco was not a "chipped" key.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Drifting

At the risk of going OT (and maybe getting whacked by Mod) I do have a good story about firearm security. A fellow lister on a diesel pickup forum had his rig stolen with pistol inside. BUT he had installed a sturdy locking pistol box under the seat, and the thieves were unable to get it open. Truck eventually recovered after joyride, the heat was still right where the owner had left it.

But that's not why I want a valet key. No civilian has cc rights here in France. I just want a small flat key with no buttons, to stow away in my wallet.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 10-31-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
...I just want a small flat key with no buttons, to stow away in my wallet.
Yes. Assuming the ROW trucks have pretty much the same security system of the US trucks, you can have a key cut without a FOB and it should work without any problems. I only have 1 FOB for my truck, but 3 or 4 other keys that I use all the time.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
There is a related thread out here on keys. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...problem-18022/
My attempts to find a key confirm that other information in that thread is correct: The remote keys have no transponder chip in them. But it does have circuitry that apparently talks to the car, because the car will not start without that remote key.

The locksmith gave up in disgust and did not charge me anything. I should have offered to buy that key from him cheap, so I could experiment with it. I wonder if I held the stardard key near the ignition, would the non-chip key then start the motor? Hmmm
You are correct, the D2 does feature "passive" security feature, and it doesn't use a standard transponder key with a chip in it. Instead there is a coil that talks to the remote, and makes it send a signal to the BCU. It's possible that your system got passively immobilized, and then you'd need a remote key to passively re-mobilize.

The passive system can be completely disabled in the BCU, using that laptop you were talking about.