Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II front wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009 | 09:31 PM
|
Drifting
Default Disco II front wiper problem

Hello one and all,

I just remembered a problem I am having with my front wipers when I use them. I just did a search on the site for this problem but did not come up with anything, and I also searched the write-ups and how-to sticky. I am not able to use the wipers on the lowest setting. They will go half way up and then stick. If I go one up from that in speed they work better, and at full blast they work fine except after awhile they will completely freeze in place though never in the same place. You can turn the wipers on and off and they will not move. After a few moments they will kick back in. This happens regardless of the actual temperature outside or inside, light rain, heavy rain etc etc.

I have changed out the wiper blades with oem's which was a pain because I had to get the oem as aftermarket wouldn't work. At first everything worked fine when it was actually raining, then one day while driving in the rain the same thing started happening. I've checked the actual wiper arm connection and found that one of them was actually stripped. I ordered two new wiper arms, put them on (wish I knew at the time that I could have used D1 arms) and once again for a few times when it rained everything worked fine. The same problem came back, all the same symptoms except the connections are good and nothing is stripped out.

I am unsure whether this is a problem in the switch itself or with the wiper motor. Also the wipers when on full speed go back and forth rather violently. I've dubbed them the angry wipers. They weren't like this before. By violent I mean they go back and forth with such force they seem like they are going to snap in half and also they are very loud. When I first purchased my Disco they were not like this, they worked perfectly. I would very much like some help in where to start as I would prefer to change out a switch in the column vs. changing out a wiper motor and having to pull the dash apart.

Old 12-15-2009 | 09:13 AM
Administrator

The biggest problem with Rovers wipers is usually switch related, although our wipers systems are known to act up sometimes when cold also.