Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco for winter only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco for winter only?

Recently moved back north to Michigan and I am not all that comfortable with how my Element handled the winter snow. I've driven worse vehicles in the winter but I've also driven better vehiclesin winter weather. I have been eyeing up a used, 2000 or newer, Disco for winter driving. Basically, it would come out of storage around October and go back into storage around May. In those 6-8 months it would probably only see about 7000 or 8000 miles. Since I've never owned a Disco (only took em for a test drive), would this been the kind of vehicle that would thrive under these circumstance (limited to fall and winter use and racking up only a little mileage). I know it would be more then capable to handle the Michigan winters! Thanks for the help and advice!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Disco for winter only?

Although I'll use it throughout the year, my Disco is primarily a winter driver. As it is in most conditions, the Disco is pretty capable in the snow. In snowy on-road conditions, I've found it's weight to be both positive and negative. The positive is thatitaids traction and stability when all's well. The negative is that, if it gets away from you (braking, etc.), it's tough to reel back in.

Of the vehicles I've had, my favorite in the snow was a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all-time 4wd and the 318. Maybe it was the lighter weight, smaller size and more power but,unlike the Disco,I always felt like that truck could be reeled in, evenin the most out-of-control situations.

If you're going to be putting the truck in storage, you might be better off with an SUV that's cheaper to buy and maintain. Given the already not-so-great gaskets, seals, etc.on a Rover, I'm not sure how well they'll hold up to a half-year of non-use. I'm sure a lot of it depends on how well it's prepared for storage. Disco Mike should be able to elaborate on whether that should be a concern.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on that. I had a Cherokee that loved the snow. I have pushed snow with the grill before and never had a problem.

The Disco does great, but she doesn't like to sit. I left her for 5 days, and she spit out a little p/s fluid. Won't do it unless she sits for a while. I wouldn't leave anything sit for a great length of time, but with the way these things leak, a Disco might be worse.

Besides, I can't imagine the look on that truck's face being cooped up all summer....poor thing..[&o]

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Drifting

with the 2 other posters i agree an disco is not the way to go. i ow have 5 vehicles. the disco hates to sit she has now become a daily driver at least the 00 has the 96 is an offroad toy she sit's 4 week's at a time and she dont like it a bit. my vote is for a cherokee or grand cherokee. i'v had both i liked the cherokee the most. reliable and cheep to fix.

p.s in my exp. i had an 01 cherokee and an 00 grand. 01 cherokee the way to go...