Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 Cranks but wont start.... then dies when it does

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 10:45 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2 Cranks but wont start.... then dies when it does

Love my disco but enough already!

PLEASE help - I have read so many forums and I really dont think its the CPS again.

Discovery 2 - 2004 - 120k
Had it 2 years and been good but always thought a lack of power. Put that down to have other (modern) vehicles and being spoilt so this likely be irrelevant but thought I would mention.
Since having it I had already replaced
New Battery
New Injector Harness and seal done
ECU checked and no oil
so caught that in time

Crank / Starting Problem - Stage 1:
Started 6-8 months ago. Very very rare but vehicle would not start (once a month or so). Cranking but struggled to fire but did go eventually and or after the 2nd attempt on the ignition. At the time the, fuel gauge was under qtr tank. I happened a few times when its was low on fuel. I put fuel in and hey off we go. Always kept above the qtr tank mark as it happened a few times. As such I put down to being LOW on fuel and the sender being faulty. Not the case as it turns out. Blindly and stupidly at that point I just thought change the Fuel pump/sender and just have done with it... installed a new one. No issues at all for month or two so thought I had nailed it. New Fuel Pump and filters

Problem getting progressively worse! (progressively being the operative word)

Stage 2 - Getting harder and harder to start but runs fine.
Again would crank and eventually it would start. Sometimes it was close but never fired. Turn it off...try again and we are off. Drive my 20 + miles to work and runs fine. Basically I had a "bitch to start" problem but once running it was fine!

Booked it in to have the Crack Position Sensor changed (as I just couldnt find it and got frustrated!) They changed the sensor. Started and was fine. I picked it up, got 50 ft down the road and it died. Took it back. Hard to start so they changed the sensor again. Said it was faulty and now starts and runs fine. thought we had it nailed!

Stage 3 - Two weeks on and not used much beyond a couple of 40 mile round trips...
Couple of mornings started to play up starting again but also getting noticeably harder and harder to start. Still when you get it going it drives (UNTIL NOW)
Now its cuts out while driving.
Total loss of power traveling at 50 + mph. Coast to a stop. Restart eventually, Foot flat to the floor in neutral and it revs all the way round. Turn it off and restart and again revs fine. Pull away and 1 - 2 miles down the dual carriageway and it dies again. It did this all the way home and died 5 times and various points.
As it dies and you loose the power steering.... at that point, if I keep my foot flat to the floor it seems to keep something going that allows you to limp a bit further than just foot off but it will slowly get slower and slower.

Hope the history helps but its now clear I have had something start to fail some time back and something I have not got to the route cause of. that problem is not something that has failed or is broken but something that has started with a starting problem thats got worse and one that now kills the car in mid flight. Starting is hot and a cold problem for me.

I also understand CPS faults generally cause a starting issue but as I read, its unlikely to cause it to die once started (I think).

I am now thinking I now need to change the Injector seals and rings as air being drawn in and/or fuel not getting there ?

BEFORE I just go and do something blind and stupid again without asking people that know a dam sight more than me....

ANY ADVICE at all as I am now re-enacting the scene from Mr Bean and his mini and beating it with a tree!

thank you!

Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

There's no codes being thrown to be read? That's where I'd start but it certainly seems like a fuel pressure issue. If there are no codes, I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail to verify that you're getting ample pressure there. You can run it under the hood to the windshield so you can see if while driving as well to keep an eye on it for testing.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Do you have a code reader? I'd look there first. It's sounding like you're not getting a CEL, and that may be a clue, but I almost have to think there'd be codes present. Anytime there's a system failure of one kind or the other, fuel or ignition, something goes wonky and the ECU catches it. If not, I'd start looking for intermittent electrical problems that killing the whole truck at once. Have you check for fuel pressure or spark during a no start?

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:26 AM
4th Gear

I don't have anything to read them but the guys that did the work never mentioned any. Ill check with them but cant now get it back to them..

Old 04-13-2022, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

Electrical would be a nightmare if it was.
Going to see if they can come out and read the codes for me if there are any.
Sounds like the way to start..

Old 04-13-2022, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

A universal reader will get you started for engine codes. If the "Sevice Engine Soon" light is on, then you've got some codes to chase.

Old 04-22-2022, 03:56 AM
4th Gear
Default Got a code reader finally.

System list shows the following.

The error codes for the "ENG...." Are as follows.. Any help or suggestions be great.