Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions test

How can i reset codes (ABS,Traction,Hill Des.), and ck engine w/out going to the dealership? Also, once done how many miles are needed before they are cleared. I have to pass a emission test-worry the codes will fail me.

thanks.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy a couple of diagnostic devices that read and clear the ABS codes.

The last two on my website are the ones I have http://www.landroverclubvi.com/diagnostic.html that can read and clear ABS codes... the top one is a generic scanner that can clear the chk engine light.

however the ABS codes will be stored in memory and the 3 Amigos (ABS,Traction,Hill Des.) may come on as you get to the testing facility if you don't fix the actual issue.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the check engine light is the only one you should have to worry about, and "clearing" the code will do you no good. When the code is cleared the ECU will go into a "not ready" state until a drive cycle is completed, this not ready state will cause you to fail and when the drive cycle is complete your check engine light will come back on. The OBD II system continuously runs these drive cycles, during which it runs a check of all the sensors throughout the vehicle. If a sensor is producing a signal that is not in its acceptable range it causes the light to come on. The light will stay on until a drive cycle is completed where the signals from all of the sensors are in there acceptable range. Once the problem is resolved the light will turn itself off, if repairs are done, the mechanic will usually reset the ECU to see if the light stays off because usually if the problem is still there it will come on fairly quickly.

There are ways to cheat the OBD II emissions test however for the time, effort, and money that you will put into it you might as well just fix the problem, not to mention with that light on you are running a risk of damaging your vehicle. The light is there to prevent larger scale problems before they happen.

on a side note, Autozone will read the check engine light to see what your code is, get the code and post it here. The guys on here should be able to help you from there.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 10-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the light is on there is a problem that needs to be corrected.
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap OBD II code scanner to read and clear your check engine light.
ABS lights are a dealer only thing.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
the check engine light is the only one you should have to worry about, and "clearing" the code will do you no good. When the code is cleared the ECU will go into a "not ready" state until a drive cycle is completed, this not ready state will cause you to fail and when the drive cycle is complete your check engine light will come back on. The OBD II system continuously runs these drive cycles, during which it runs a check of all the sensors throughout the vehicle. If a sensor is producing a signal that is not in its acceptable range it causes the light to come on. The light will stay on until a drive cycle is completed where the signals from all of the sensors are in there acceptable range. Once the problem is resolved the light will turn itself off, if repairs are done, the mechanic will usually reset the ECU to see if the light stays off because usually if the problem is still there it will come on fairly quickly.

There are ways to cheat the OBD II emissions test however for the time, effort, and money that you will put into it you might as well just fix the problem, not to mention with that light on you are running a risk of damaging your vehicle. The light is there to prevent larger scale problems before they happen.

on a side note, Autozone will read the check engine light to see what your code is, get the code and post it here. The guys on here should be able to help you from there.
The 1590 code won't clear and as such the check engine light will stay on.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Mike I am sorry I should have said usually, if it is a soft code (which I think most of them are) it will turn itself off and the hard codes will need to be reset (I am not sure what the difference is but I would think a hard code is a more severe problem)

but regardless you need to find the code first.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The 1590 code won't clear and as such the check engine light will stay on.
1590 does not illuminate the check engine light. 1590 alone will illuminate the ABS light.