Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine longevity

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine longevity

Hey guys! I know this is probably a frequently asked question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. About how many miles can I expect to get from my stock D2 engine (if well maintained) before it blows? Is engine blowing a common problem with D2's? I have a '99 D2 with 177,xxx miles and counting as it is my daily driver. I just want to take precautions and be prepared just in case something like this is likely to happen. Also, what are some things I should do to keep it running strong and reduce the risk of the engine blowing?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO Most common D2 problem is long-term overheating hidden by factory gauges. Use a scanner to see live data. Install the 180F thermostat (Land Rover brand). Change fluids early and often, they may not leak out quick enough. Consider a new radiator.

Other things can grab you, like front prop shaft snapping apart and beating hole in tranny.

Rovers are a fun vehicle, but like to be maintained.

Head gaskets are common before 200K, and few make it that far on original set.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I read an article in the current (or last) Landrover Monthly in which they interviewed a guy who spends his life rebuilding Rover V8s. His start point was: they could last 25,000 miles or 250,000 miles and it's mostly down to how you treat them.

His advice was:
3,000 mile oil and filter changes. This reduces the risk of metal debris from worn valvegear getting to the main and big end bearings
Use 20w50 oil - never anything thinner. It's an old school engine that suits old school oils.
Use a GOOD quality oil filter - don't wreck an expensive engine for a couple of £ / $ / €
If the engine starts to feel down on power, the probable cause is worn camshaft, tappets(lifters), rockershaft and rocker arms. Never replace the camshaft without replacing the tappets and never replace the rocker shaft without changing the rocker arms. Replace those and 90% of the power loss comes back

And, of course, don't let it overheat.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 07-28-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

sound like he know what hes talking about, between that and keep your temps down as Savannah said are your big issues

Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I just took in a mercy truck from a customer of mine. He had had enough with it and by mercy I mean it's not going to be a big money maker for me in terms of parts. The heads had recently been done. It was suffering from electrical problems (I think the interior fuse box is screwed). It is a 2000 with 297,000 miles on the odometer. It drove here under its own power.

That's the most mileage I've seen on a Rover V8 that's come to me for parting in over 12 years and I'll say it again, it drove here under its own power.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. The radiator was replaced by the previous owner before I bought the vehicle. Plugs, wires, and a few other odds and ends were replaced as well. I've already replaced the coolant tank within my few months of ownership. I am ordering a new front driveshaft from Tom Woods today, and I guess my next mechanical repair might be head gaskets. The Land Rover mechanic I take it to said that it runs just a little hot (about ten degrees), but that it's nothing to be concerned about. He also couldn't find a source. There is a small oil leak that i will fix, but so far it hasn't caused any problems that I know of. Although i have noticed a slight chugging sound when accelerating to higher speeds.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
I read an article in the current (or last) Landrover Monthly in which they interviewed a guy who spends his life rebuilding Rover V8s. His start point was: they could last 25,000 miles or 250,000 miles and it's mostly down to how you treat them.

His advice was:
3,000 mile oil and filter changes. This reduces the risk of metal debris from worn valvegear getting to the main and big end bearings
Use 20w50 oil - never anything thinner. It's an old school engine that suits old school oils.
Use a GOOD quality oil filter - don't wreck an expensive engine for a couple of £ / $ / €
If the engine starts to feel down on power, the probable cause is worn camshaft, tappets(lifters), rockershaft and rocker arms. Never replace the camshaft without replacing the tappets and never replace the rocker shaft without changing the rocker arms. Replace those and 90% of the power loss comes back

^ Good stuff to know.^

I'm a believer in 20W50, especially in the south where I live with close to 100 degree temps all summer. I have been using 15W40 in this truck but, have considered changing to 20W50.

Not sure how these engines compare (apples and oranges maybe) but, I bought a jeep new in 92 and used nothing but 20W50 from day one. I changed my oil and filter religiously at 3K. I drove it for 15 years and it was right at 325K when I gave it away. All on the original bearings. It had started using oil but was still running good. So with any engine I think proper maintenance with good oil and filter go a long way.

My 03D2 is right at 150K now (I've had it for almost 80K). I just did head gaskets (didn't run hot gasket just gave out), rebuilt heads (for good measure), timing set (timing chain had a good bit of play) and oil pump gears (outer gear was broken).
I would have liked to have changed cam, cam bearings, lifters and rocker components while in there but, needed my truck back on the road.

It doesn't use any oil at this point but, if it does start using oil I will change the bottom end bearings, rings, cam bearings, cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker components all at once but, not expecting that anytime soon.

I don't see any reason why these engines won't last for a very long time with proper maintenance and if never overheated.

Like they ^ said it all depends on how they are treated. I think most of these that end up in the scrap heap are from overheating and neglect.

When you change the head gaskets, you should go ahead and check the oil pump gears and change the timing gears and chain.... easier to get to when you have all the other parts off and out of the way.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-28-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss

His advice was:

I read it too and I'm still trying to figure out how he can run 27mpg?!?!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Depends on which engine you're referring to, a TD5 usually makes over 200K on the original stock unit

Highest Mileage TD5 Engine? - Land Rover Zone