Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
The last time I drove the Rover was for 10 miles, and I could grab the lower hose and hold it with my bare hand.

Having temps between 200-210 is perfectly fine with me. Having temps between 220-225 is not fine with me though. I find it very hard to believe that t-stat's fail the frequently out of the box. Let alone 3 of them failing with zero miles on them.

I'm still leaning towards a blocked radiator as the culprit. If the radiator is blocked it won't matter if the stat opens or not since nothing will circulate.
I don't believe the T-stat is bad either. Noone is that unlucky lol. My bet is on the radiator as well.

I would look into upgrading to a thicker one if I were you. Even if it meant reconfiguring the hoses a little bit. Its quite apparent that the factory unit is inadequate. Highway Temps with an open thermostat should never get over 200, but they do.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Any updates here? I read through the whole thread and I am curious how it turned out. I am looking to get a Turner engine as well. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
Any updates here? I read through the whole thread and I am curious how it turned out. I am looking to get a Turner engine as well. Thanks!
I’m not sure there is an outcome yet. Check out his other threads, but iirc, he ran out of time on the rover and they took another vehicle on their trip. I think he parked it at his mechanic brother’s house or something.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

We think it's be solved, but still not 100% yet.

My in-laws have been poking around, and they're convinced it was a bad t-stat yet again. They gutted a bad stat that we had, and installed the wide open housing. With the stat wide open the temps never went above 192. So I ordered a new soft spring, and temp sensor for them to install. Pretty sure the test drive will be this weekend.

Originally Posted by akrover90
I’m not sure there is an outcome yet. Check out his other threads, but iirc, he ran out of time on the rover and they took another vehicle on their trip. I think he parked it at his mechanic brother’s house or something.
We'll hopefully have the Rover out here in Oregon in a few months if all goes well this weekend.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Great, thanks for the update. I just recently bought a 2004 Discovery and working on head gaskets. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I am considering ordering the turner engine. Did your truck have the SAI? Do you know if Turner can sell a long block that is SAI ready?

Thanks and best of luck getting the final touches on your truck. Don't give up now!

We think it's be solved, but still not 100% yet.

My in-laws have been poking around, and they're convinced it was a bad t-stat yet again. They gutted a bad stat that we had, and installed the wide open housing. With the stat wide open the temps never went above 192. So I ordered a new soft spring, and temp sensor for them to install. Pretty sure the test drive will be this weekend.

We'll hopefully have the Rover out here in Oregon in a few months if all goes well this weekend.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I believe all the heads have the SAI ports, just that the non - SAI has these ports blocked / plugged. I certainly would ask them though.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

We hit up Turner a few months ago and they had SAI heads available.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (06-24-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Great, thanks for the update. I just recently bought a 2004 Discovery and working on head gaskets. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I am considering ordering the turner engine. Did your truck have the SAI? Do you know if Turner can sell a long block that is SAI ready?

Thanks and best of luck getting the final touches on your truck. Don't give up now!
They do have options for SAI Rovers.

We're now back tracking on the previous remarks about the t-stat. Not really sure what the issue is, but it revolves around that. With a wide open stat the temps are great, but once the stat is in the temps get hot.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

They do have options for SAI Rovers.

We're now back tracking on the previous remarks about the t-stat. Not really sure what the issue is, but it revolves around that. With a wide open stat the temps are great, but once the stat is in the temps get hot.
m

I just did my HG’s and has two TStats fail to open. Third, worked first time, same behavior with no stat.

I’ve never had an issue with this prior to.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CollieRover
m

I just did my HG’s and has two TStats fail to open. Third, worked first time, same behavior with no stat.

I’ve never had an issue with this prior to.
These stats are horrible, and we won't be using one for much longer I bet. At this point I think we're going to go with an inline stat.

Quick Reply: Engine Options