Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filled up with high test and lost 3.9 mpg!!! Has anyone experienced this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Jeez, I use the wrong gas AND I don't leave enough in the tank... I can't do anything right.
Sounds like my kids when they get in trouble.

Just try not to let it get below a 1/4 tank.
Now keep in mind that by running mid-grade you are only saving $2 per tank of gas.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This is interesting - I ran into a similar problem when I first bought my mustang a while ago.

The manual SPECIFICALLY SAYS that the engine was designed to run on 87 octane gas, and recommends using 87. Obviously higher octane gas won't hurt it, but whatever.

I averaged around 22mpg with the 87, and decided to put 93 in it one day (since I was used to having a '97 BMW M3 which required 91, and later required 93 with the custom tune)

Well, my mileage AND performance dropped big time, by about ~3mpg as well (maybe more?)

I just think it's funny that they specifically say 87, and the car makes 300hp stock - yet my land rover specifically says 93 and I get HALF the horsepower. Nice =)

Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EstorilM

I just think it's funny that they specifically say 87, and the car makes 300hp stock - yet my land rover specifically says 93 and I get HALF the horsepower. Nice =)
There is a reason your Rover requires premium gas, and its not because of horse power or compression ratio's.
It is because there is no EGR on your Rover and if you use anything less than premium gas you will slowly destroy your engine.
A EGR does two things, 1 it lowers combustion temps, 2 it lowers NOX.
It lowers NOX by lowering the combustion temps, and it lowers them by introducing exhaust into the engine to be burned.
Premium gas burns slower than regular, a slower burn means lower combustion temps.
Run regular gas and you will get higher combustion temps, lower horse power, lower MPG, higher emissions, excessive carbon build up from the gas evaporating inside the combustion chamber before it burns.
Now add that those higher temps bake the oil inside the cylinder heads and causes excessive engine sludge.
So that is why your Rover says to use premium fuel only.
It's a $45,000 truck and needs to be treated as such.
Would you take a super model to McDonald's or a fancy steak house?
Your truck is a super model.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
There is a reason your Rover requires premium gas, and its not because of horse power or compression ratio's.
It is because there is no EGR on your Rover and if you use anything less than premium gas you will slowly destroy your engine.
It lowers NOX by lowering the combustion temps, and it lowers them by introducing exhaust into the engine to be burned.
Premium gas burns slower than regular, a slower burn means lower combustion temps.
Run regular gas and you will get higher combustion temps, lower horse power, lower MPG, higher emissions, excessive carbon build up from the gas evaporating inside the combustion chamber before it burns.
Now add that those higher temps bake the oil inside the cylinder heads and causes excessive engine sludge.
Thanks for the info - I wasn't really complaining about using the premium gas for the land rover, but I did think it was interesting.

And EGR or not, it's still a low-output engine

I did want to mention one thing however. I was under the impression that thermal efficiency-wise, an engine is able to produce more power and become more efficient when implementing higher combustion temperatures (as this is almost always going to indicate more energy).

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

I dont know anything about more power with higher combustion temps.
But I do know that the EPA only cares about emissions and not horse power.

And keep in mind that your Rovers 200hp will get you more places than you could ever think about going.
Horse power is for speed, torque is whats important as well as rotational mass, and your Rover has lots of it.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW, Life is good, I have a super model that likes to play in the mud !!! Happy Valentine's Day to me LOL!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Question

[QUOTE=Spike555;162312]There is a reason your Rover requires premium gas, and its not because of horse power or compression ratio's.
Your truck is a super model.[/QUOTE

Spike ? are you there...? would you considder your truck to be a ...let's say a Heidi Klum or more like a Tyra Banks , or maybe something with a little more mileage...Sophia Loren ?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That may be the best analogy I've ever heard

Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

I would compare it to being in a relationship with a really good looking girl that happens to be schizophrenic and may or may not have a drug habit.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Spike ? are you there...? would you considder your truck to be a ...let's say a Heidi Klum or more like a Tyra Banks , or maybe something with a little more mileage...Sophia Loren ?[/QUOTE]

Sophia Loren.

Quick Reply: Filled up with high test and lost 3.9 mpg!!! Has anyone experienced this?