Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally blew..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that truck actually makes me think there is long term hope for the disco. Vandev you should email that guy and find out what it took to do that. It is obviously heavily modified judging by the video, but if you could get the motor and trans easier than the LR UK diesel it could be worth it.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dont know..

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is sweet.
What did it sell for do you know?
You can get those Izusu engines cheap, alot of bread trucks have them.

Dont know.. i think he was getting a defender ...i wish my truck was a defender...things would be so much simpler....

Hell, i put a wonder bread sticker on the side of my truck....

Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So Spike that is not a rover diesel engine? That is one of the Isuzu diesels put into that disco? I saw the TDi badge on the back so I was just confused.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default isuzu 4bdit diesel

Originally Posted by discomedic4
So Spike that is not a rover diesel engine? That is one of the Isuzu diesels put into that disco? I saw the TDi badge on the back so I was just confused.

Its a isuzu 4bdit diesel engine. Actually the austrailian military has convererted a bunch of discos with this engine.

Here is a brief description of the work;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763708

Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Its a isuzu 4bdit diesel engine. Actually the austrailian military has convererted a bunch of discos with this engine.

Here is a brief description of the work;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763708

OK I retract my previous statement, I still have no hope for the disco. This guy put 35k into that! Now I'm sure, or I hope that wasn't all spent on the custom one off parts and accessories needed for the swap, but there is still way too much there to make that a reasonable option to duplicate.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I really like the tires he has on that truck.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow 650 for the whole truck!? Makes me wonder what the swap would actually run me. Been wanting to do something like this since I bought the Disco in Feb. You know if it could be done for 3000ish it would def. be worth the trouble to have it done. Problem is finding a mech to do the work. Then if you are getting more torque than the stock V8 you gotta worry about the drivetrain and thats where the money starts flying and the project goes off the rails for me. She is my DD so I need to find a good balance between on and off road performance. Really nice pipe dream though.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

You can de-tune the engine, restrict the exhaust and a smaller turbo.
But you will have to replace all the springs with HD ones to support the weight.

Personally I would rather stay true and put in a LR engine.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by discomedic4
All TDI means is Turbo Diesel direct Injection.
Which means that the fuel injectors inject the fuel under extreme high psi (20,000-30,000psi) directly into the cylinder.
It is under such high pressure to totally vaporize the fuel for efficient combustion.
Each injector has its own fuel line that comes from the injector pump. These engines (TDI) have 2 fuel pumps, one low psi high volume pump that brings fuel from the fuel tank to the fuel filter and then the injector pump which is a high psi pump that goes from the fuel filter to the injectors.
There is also Common fuel rail Direct Injection.
This is what a gas engine is, the fuel comes to the engine and it all goes down one fuel rail and then to each injector BUT a gas engine does NOT have direct injection.
Instead the fuel is injected right above the intake valve and then is sucked into the engine and combusted.
Direct injection is noisy and that is why it is/was not used in passenger cars and trucks.
BMW and Mercedes Benz are slowly introducing direct injection gas engines.
A Turbo Diesel is just like a gas engine, fuel is injected outside of the combustion chamber, this is quieter but not as efficient.
A TD5 is just a 5 cylinder turbo diesel.

The Jeep Liberty has a CDI option, the Jetta has a TDI.
The Rover 200 & 300 are TDI.
Watch a Camel Trophy video and listen to the engines, noisy as hell.

Look close to the passenger side of that Isuzu engine and you can see the injectors and a fuel line going to each one.
The fuel filter is in the front, then a fuel line goes to each injector and a return line goes from each injector back to the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Finally blew..