Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally blew..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blew a apex seal out of a friends RX-7. It still chirped the tires when shifting two 2nd though.

Willie

Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
i sent out for a few quotes.... So far:

$2,500.00 + shipping which is cheap to port of miami..... for TD5 with everything down to wiring harness, , computer,tank, transmission and exhaust........

Looking very good...
Keep track of EVERYTHING and do a write up with web sites, phone numbers, customs bribes the whole nine yards so that others may do this.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

And dont forget the intercooler.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you got it

Originally Posted by Spike555
And dont forget the intercooler.

I am keeping track of everything...

Old 07-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default random thoughts

Hate to hear about the explosion but as you've said, its a LR so its not surprising as it it would be as in . . . . well anything else really. Interested in you're idea to convert to tdi, its good to hear you can get the engine, but there's a lot of variables there. Even if you're dealing with an honest place, there still could be possibility of getting a bad engine, and then what, ship it back to uk? Where do you buy parts, how do you wire it up? Is the trans and diff gearing the same for the diesel engine? If so, does the trans ecu recognize there's no longer the powerband of the v8 or does it have to be changed also? Just random thoughts that come to mind, I hope you get it all sorted out.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Three Wheeling

There was a dealer in Atlanta or Washington state that was selling a Discovery with a TDI swap and was asking an arm, leg, and nut for it. It was a G4 edition to boot as well.

When my engine goes, its either ToddCo's 5.0 HO swap or a TD5 from the UK.

As long as there's no CEL, it will pass DC inspection.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default anything is possible...

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
Hate to hear about the explosion but as you've said, its a LR so its not surprising as it it would be as in . . . . well anything else really. Interested in you're idea to convert to tdi, its good to hear you can get the engine, but there's a lot of variables there. Even if you're dealing with an honest place, there still could be possibility of getting a bad engine, and then what, ship it back to uk? Where do you buy parts, how do you wire it up? Is the trans and diff gearing the same for the diesel engine? If so, does the trans ecu recognize there's no longer the powerband of the v8 or does it have to be changed also? Just random thoughts that come to mind, I hope you get it all sorted out.

You are correct..anything is possible..yes the possibility of getting a bad engine...I do have a better chance of getting a V8 that is bad more than a TDI or TD that is bad . Anything V8 made by LR "is" bad..The engines wher out of spec and the liner walls where about as good as a 3 year old could make in his dipers..Here look...

Thats the problem. The only block replacement you could actually bet money on is a Coscast 4.6 V8 Engine ... It's about $4,100.00 and change and it's still not what i would ultimatley want. I am tired of 12 mpg...I am then part of the problem...I would like something around 30 and i want to run veggie and bio....

Anyway, The tdi 300 is much easier to do than the TD5..as no stupid computer to fight with....trade offs , a little noise and the TD get a mile or too less mpg . I would get complete drive train, radiator which i might do custom , pipes, wiring, intercooler, engine mounts, turbo, ecu if TD5 and automatic transmission. the Td5 comes with a very good automatic setup transmission wise.

As i said it's still in the planning stages so i will keep everyone posted.

thanks Chris

Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Team Owner

Rovers not stupid, they made the drivetrains the same, any Rover engine will bolt up, just different electrics.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default I have a idea..

Originally Posted by Spike555
Rovers not stupid, they made the drivetrains the same, any Rover engine will bolt up, just different electrics.

Tell you what Spike, i'll fly you down on my dime and you can install my Td or tdi... You are much smarter than me...

Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by vandev
Tell you what Spike, i'll fly you down on my dime and you can install my Td or tdi... You are much smarter than me...
For what my dealer wants to charge me for the 90k service ($1,100) i will do the same

Quick Reply: Finally blew..