Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Found the Limit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Found the Limit

Well, I finally found someplace I couldn't take my Disco . . .

I was driving up to the top of Mt. Hebo the other day while Geocaching, when I discovered we'd actually gotten some snow above certain elevations. Having spent last winter in Wyoming, I wasn't too concerned. I got more concerned as I got further up the mountain, due to a couple of things. First, the snow had been driven on, and then melted slightly and refrozen. Makes for a very icy surface. Second, the slope was VERY steep. I actually reached a point when my tires would simply spin, even though I hadn't stopped and tried to restart.

So, I boldly tried to back out, only to find that my brakes, while capable of holding me in place, were not capable of stopping the weight of my Disco in reverse. With a steep drop off on one side, and the side of the mountain on the other, it made for a slightly hair-raising descent to where there was bare pavement and a whiff of a chance of getting the thing turned around.

It has reinforced the idea that 4WD does not make you invincible. If you're on solid ice, you get four tires spinning instead of 2 . . .

Kinda fun, all the same.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally Found the Limit

Yea, went for some wheeling last night, up a nearby mountian. we got about a foot of snow while we were out, and there must have been a foot to begin with. It was a blast we went all the way to the top, coming down we almost slid off the side but was able to back up and crank it more into the mountian, the road had a slight slope pointing off the mountian, but we made it and had fun, oh yea, it was around 11 pm as well. I love to wheel at night.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling

awww. that story is sad, makes me wonder what my disco can realy do now, its stopped me dreaming , awww
i love my disco,

Old 12-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Mudding

It is sad, when you find out that your best friend has limits. But it makes it more human, ya know?

Old 12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Mudding

one of the only snows we got I was kinda showing out in my then "new" disco. my girl and I started up this really steep hill and when we got to the top we promptly slid bout 75 yards backwards all the way to the bottom. it was fun in hindsight but i had a white knuckle grip during the experince. it was prolly around midnight. night wheelin is the way to go as far as i'm concerned. lots more surprises!