Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Driveshaft Play.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017 | 11:17 PM
|
Drifting
Default Front Driveshaft Play.

So I've recently bought an '03 Disco II and I noticed there is alot of play in the front driveshaft. When you're on/off throttle you can feel the "clunk" as it takes up the slack. I've found some other posts about similar things on here but haven't come across a definitive conclusion. There is also a whine somewhere in the front end. not sure if trans, tcase, or diff.

Anyways, take a look at this video of the driveshaft and let me know what you guys think.

Old 04-15-2017 | 02:07 AM
Camel Trophy

The whine could definitely be coming from the driveshaft. You should stop driving your Disco ASAP, because if that baby goes it knocks a 3-4" hole in your transmission.

Pull it out and check it out on the bench. If its muy no bueno then it needs replacing. Lucky 8 has the best price with the forum discount. I've got one on my Disco.

Just fyi, all the u joints as well as the slip yolkneed to be greased once every oil change

Old 04-15-2017 | 04:49 AM
Camel Trophy

The amount of movement seems about normal to me...and noise too. They make a bit of clunking when you move them by hand and that amount of back and forth movement looks normal. Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case, axles and transmission? Also, I'd pull the driveshaft and inspect, yours looks to be the original. How many miles/kilometers are on your vehicle? If you have around a hundred thousand miles, probably time to replace the driveshaft anyway.

Brian.

Old 04-15-2017 | 09:55 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alex_M
The whine could definitely be coming from the driveshaft. You should stop driving your Disco ASAP, because if that baby goes it knocks a 3-4" hole in your transmission.

Pull it out and check it out on the bench. If its muy no bueno then it needs replacing. Lucky 8 has the best price with the forum discount. I've got one on my Disco.

Just fyi, all the u joints as well as the slip yolkneed to be greased once every oil change

I've become aware of that front driveshaft issues. The Clevis joints let go and then your trans pan goes along for the ride. This shaft looks like its in good shape though, theres 0 play in the clevis joints and it looks to be pretty clean. I will remove it to check that the articulation isn't impaired. If the joints have some restriction I'll replace immediately.

When you upgrade your shaft, do you bump up the hardware too? theres only 4 bolts that look like M6's or something holding that thing on there. or is the weakest link somewhere else?

The whine sounds a bit like gear whine so I'm speculating trans/Tcase/diff. it kind of reminds me of how those old caravan transmissions used to whine. I'm not sure how the shaft would wine unless the clevis joints are binding enough to let out a little whine every time they articulate (which is constantly while you drive).

Old 04-15-2017 | 10:01 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The amount of movement seems about normal to me...and noise too. They make a bit of clunking when you move them by hand and that amount of back and forth movement looks normal. Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case, axles and transmission? Also, I'd pull the driveshaft and inspect, yours looks to be the original. How many miles/kilometers are on your vehicle? If you have around a hundred thousand miles, probably time to replace the driveshaft anyway.

Brian.
I've heard its normal. But considering theres no play in the rear shaft I'm a little hard pressed to believe that the LR Designers just said "yeah, that'll be fine". Unless, you maybe know of a reason to design in the play that I don't know about? it seems like the perfect recipe to blow up driveline bits.

I haven't checked the fluid levels. I plan to but i'm still getting a feel for the truck. I'm not sure if they have sights or ways to check without draining everything out. Although it doesn't leak anything onto the ground - the trans and T-Case have a nice coat of some fluid on them. I'd love to replace all the driveline gearbox fluids.

Old 04-15-2017 | 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Axles have a plug on the cover, open and fluid should be level with opening (and a drain plug on the bottom).

Transfer case has a plug located just to the drivers side of the parking brake drum, open and fluid should be level with open.

Engine has to be running when you check the trans, usually better if up on jackstands, and remove front plug from trans pan, fluid should dribble out some. I usually lower the rear some to refill.

There has to be some slop in the gear train or you'd never be able to disengage things. Even your axles have some sort of backlash/play in them...slop is common.

Brian.

Old 04-15-2017 | 11:26 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Axles have a plug on the cover, open and fluid should be level with opening (and a drain plug on the bottom).

Transfer case has a plug located just to the drivers side of the parking brake drum, open and fluid should be level with open.

Engine has to be running when you check the trans, usually better if up on jackstands, and remove front plug from trans pan, fluid should dribble out some. I usually lower the rear some to refill.

There has to be some slop in the gear train or you'd never be able to disengage things. Even your axles have some sort of backlash/play in them...slop is common.

Brian.
Some slop is designed in for sure. But I don't think a Wrangler, or any other 4x4 I can think of without a transaxle has this much play. Maybe its just an LR thing? My Pathfinder has a selectable transfer case (albeit a macpherson front suspension) and it doesn't have play like this. I feel like if they were trying to sell an "upscale" or "luxurious" product this would be an immediate complaint new customers would be bringing their trucks back to the dealer for.

Or am I just a noob to discos?