Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated, abs, hubs, lights galore, and clunks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frustrated, abs, hubs, lights galore, and clunks.

So, the story so far. Picked up a Detroit and TT. Finally 2 weeks ago went in to get them installed. Rear hubs were leaking, but otherwise working fine.... found out how much new hubs are, found some used... one arrived with bad bearings, finally got that replaced. Ever since the hubs were installed the ABS light is lit, then after driving about 50 metres the rest of the lights come on, braking sucks, shifting lags, etc.

I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow to get the codes read because the scanner where I got it done couldn't give me the ABS info. I'm looking for suggestions on what it could be.

Also... I expected a little clicking and noise with the detroit, but when I turn tightly I get a rather pronounced THUNK, THUNK, THUNK that's really fairly loud. Ideas?

I have noticed that steering feels a fair bit heavier now, could this be related to the lights above or would it be related to the upgraded diffs?

Frustrated.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Frustrated, abs, hubs, lights galore, and clunks.

I also have the Detroit/T.T. combination, call me and I;ll show you how to make it go away.
M
303-862-7680

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
ajh
Winching

OK, as per Mike's advice I replaced the rear diff oil with 70/140 (Quaker State Synthetic because that is what was available here) and just over a half-litre of Lucas Oil Stabilizer (non-synthetic) and after a few minutes the diff seems to have calmed down but it still seems to clunk a fair bit when turning slow tightly, I though it was supposed to unlock then re-lock when the wheels are at equal speeds again, it sounds more like a loud ratcheting.

We also re-seated all the ABS sensors and that code "Weak Signal" seems to have gone, but I had all the lights go on once due to a shudder of the detroit but stopping and re-starting things seems to clear that one ok.

I'm going to keep looking into this noise, it really doesn't sound healthy when it happens and I'd rather not lose it prematurely. I'm starting to regret not just putting an air-locker in the rear.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
ajh
Winching

Well, if anyone would like a good deal on a new Detroit I'm strongly considering just replacing it with an ARB.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
ajh
Winching

Follow-up.

OK, I talked to John at EE and his thought is the diff was installed with too little clearance, i.e. too tight. The shop has agreed to pull everything back apart on Friday at no cost, so that is excellent, after doing a lot of research on detroits again I came to the conclusion that with my long-distance driving and extended driving on low-friction surfaces that it would be better for me to go with an ARB for the back and stick to the TT in the front. John at EE agreed to the swap (shocking me given my recent experiences with Car Cannibal) and I should have everything to do the install by tomorrow. I cannot recommend Expedition Exchange enough now and encourage you to shop there too.

So, my screw-up will end up costing me some gear oil (well 3 changes of it which isn't cheap but still), $80 more for the ARB locker and $300 for the compressor and HD hose. I am so relieved, the sinking feeling that you've made entirely the wrong choice for your application and spent $3000 or so doing it is horrible and luckily starting to fade now.

So, out to the driveway to remove the TC linkage to prep for the dealer to swap on my newsed LT-230 tomorrow (also at no cost for the swap, only for the time to change seals and connect linkage if I have them do it).

When a horrible 2 weeks turns into a good ending it's a pleasant surprise but the mind really doesn't know how to cope with it... hence man invented beer.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]Hope it works out. Always nice to find decent vendors.