Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess I'm doing a head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 06:06 PM
|
Winching
Default Guess I'm doing a head gasket

110k Miles, '02 DII.

It overheated on my wife about a month ago. She shut it down as soon as she saw the warning light. I had it towed home, threw on a t-stat. It was fine for 3 weeks.

Now in the last several days, it's gotten hot and she's had to shut it down. Finally, on the way home today, going up a hill, she said she heard a pop like something hit the hood and it started smoking. Got it pulled off and shut down.

I went to pick them up. I don't see the hose that came off, but it's dark now. The whole engine compartment is covered in antifreeze.

No need to drag my buddy out at night to pick this up, so I'll have it picked in the morning and dropped in the garage. Pics to follow, and, if I get really ambitious, a HG replacement write up.

Old 11-03-2010 | 02:35 PM
|
Winching

Here we go. Cleaned up the motor before starting work, since it was covered in antifreeze slime.

Found the hose that let loose. It's the radiator top hose section going to the thermostat. It actually ripped. Ouch.

About 1.5 hours into this now. Taking it slow and easy, mostly following Rave.

I pulled the connectors off of the coils rather than unbolting it, mostly because I couldn't see them well. I don't have another set of hands to help me take the hood off (which looks like it would have made getting at those bolts pretty easy), but I'll grab someone later on today hopefully.

I noticed that only 2 of the bolts were in. I also found a bolt missing - it's supposed to hold the coolant lines to the I/M. Also some cheap washer clamps on the throttle body heater hoses. I also managed to break the plastic coolant line that comes out of the coolant reservoir and goes to the front of the throttle body. Looks to be something pretty standard, and it was brittle, so whatever....I track some down.

More to come after I finish my beer and get back to work. Yeah, I know its the middle of the afternoon, but I'm doing head gaskets, so gimmie a break.

Old 11-03-2010 | 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Why ...?

So is anyone else wondering why this owner is diving into a headgasket job when all he knows is that there has been some overheating and a failed hose? Must have more time on his hands than I. I chased down every alternative and did all I could to confirm the diagnosis before doing mine. There must be more to the story.

Last edited by mln01; 01-07-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2010 | 04:38 PM
Administrator

I am wondering why common since didn't come into play, why did she continue driving it after it overheated?

Old 11-04-2010 | 04:15 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
So is anyone else wondering why this owner is diving into a headgasket job when all he knows is that there has been some overheating and a failed hose? Must have more time on his hands than me. I chased down every alternative and did all I could to confirm the diagnosis before doing mine. There must be more to the story.
And there is. I'd suggest rather than making assumptions and being snarky, you could have asked.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I am wondering why common since didn't come into play, why did she continue driving it after it overheated?
Nowhere did I say that she kept driving it, other than to quickly get it off the road and shut it down. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

Bottom line: Its torn down, the heads are already back from the machine shop, and the machinist confirmed my diagnosis of cyl 6 gasket blow out.

But I guess you guys aren't really interested. That's fine. I'll take it elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2010 | 04:41 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DarylJ
......I'd suggest rather than making assumptions and being snarky, you could have asked.....
Amen brother, if you didn't say it, I would have Why is there so much damn negativity and pointless criticism here sometimes. I assume that since you are going so far as to do a write-up, that you know what you are doing and can diagnose your own bad HG.

I thought your post was pretty clear : Overheated, she stopped driving, FIXED it, overheated 3 weeks later, she stopped driving it, NOW YOU'RE WORKING ON FIXING IT.

P.S. - Sounds like you've had the same conversation with your wife that I have with mine in regards to driving the Disco.....

"Honey, if you see the temperature needle move at all, PULL OVER AND TURN IT OFF, OK?" GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FIX!

Old 11-04-2010 | 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs up

Let us know how it turns out. My 2000 DII is at the shop right now. Heads are done and being installed as we speak. Probably have it back tomorrow. Fingers crossed! Phil

1999 DI
2000 DII
2001 DII

Old 11-04-2010 | 05:02 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I thought your post was pretty clear : Overheated, she stopped driving, FIXED it, overheated 3 weeks later, she stopped driving it, NOW YOU'RE WORKING ON FIXING IT.
Exactly. Except I'd put the first "FIXED" in quotes, as I misdiagnosed what was an intermittent HG failure (at that time) as a thermostat.

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
P.S. - Sounds like you've had the same conversation with your wife that I have with mine in regards to driving the Disco.....

"Honey, if you see the temperature needle move at all, PULL OVER AND TURN IT OFF, OK?" GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FIX!
I absolutely did have that conversation, and she listened.