Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads off see pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay here is/was plug 7 I pulled it and cleaned it and checked the gap. when I put it back in it was arching badly so I pulled it again and the porcelain was broken. It was a NGK Iridium.

Attached Thumbnails Heads off see pics...-7.jpg  
Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've cracked more than a few plugs...

Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...al-more-40966/

From the looks of it, fix the misfire, and the P1590 will probably go away.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Winching

Put different plugs in, still running rough. When I hit the gas it is very bogged down and its drinking gas. Still occasional white smoke from exhaust but does not smell like coolant...

Old 12-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by aarongregor
Okay here is/was plug 7 I pulled it and cleaned it and checked the gap. when I put it back in it was arching badly so I pulled it again and the porcelain was broken. It was a NGK Iridium.
Just curious; did you pressure check the block while the heads were off to make sure the sleeves weren't leaking? I was very green(still am) when I changed the head gaskets on my son's Disco II; didn't know any better and the number 4 sleeve was the problem. Did you have any problem with severe over pressure in the coolant lines/system?

I've got my son's block at the machine shop now installing all eight sleeves with the Ductile/flanged.

I am going to replace the cam and lifters also. Anyone have any advise/brand/etc. on cams and other suggestions while I've got it apart.
This is my first rebuild on a "GEMS". Could use all the pointers I can get. Thanks.

Ps. with that much gooey burnt coolant in the cylinders I suspect the injectors could use a good cleaning/rebuild especially if they've been setting idle for any length of time.

Last edited by 2001SE7; 12-18-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: rude, crude and unsophisticated
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Winching

2001SE7...I did put the old plugs back in because they were only 2 months old. The heads were at 3 thousandths and 3.5 thousandths so I did not have them done and the machine shop said that due to them being out by such a small amount that a pressure test was not needed...

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Mudding

2001SE7...I did put the old plugs back in because they were only 2 months old. The heads were at 3 thousandths and 3.5 thousandths so I did not have them done and the machine shop said that due to them being out by such a small amount that a pressure test was not needed...
Were you experiencing any overheating prior to performing the head gasket replacement? Do you suspect any of the "smoke" you are seeing now is coolant?

Last edited by 2001SE7; 12-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Winching

It had over heated 2 times prior to doing my head gasket, the first was about 3 years ago and the second was about a year ago now. I never had the white coolant smoke till a few weeks prior to doing my head gaskets. I on advice for Disco Mike parked it. It would blow the coolant smoke non stop then. Now after doing the head gaskets it only does blows white smoke every once in a while and it is not the sweet smell that it was before doing the head gaskets. Some times it is odorless while other times it smells rich.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Mudding

It had over heated 2 times prior to doing my head gasket, the first was about 3 years ago and the second was about a year ago now. I never had the white coolant smoke till a few weeks prior to doing my head gaskets. I on advice for Disco Mike parked it. It would blow the coolant smoke non stop then. Now after doing the head gaskets it only does blows white smoke every once in a while and it is not the sweet smell that it was before doing the head gaskets. Some times it is odorless while other times it smells rich.
As I mentioned above mine ended up having a bad sleeve so changing the head gaskets made no difference. It was also very obvious: I could smell exhaust in the coolant reservoir. It ran great but the cooling system would over pressure and would lose coolant out #4 very quickly.
Some time ago I did a head gasket on a five cylinder Audi and upon completion I was having symptoms very much like you have describe. That one ended up being several of the injectors gumming up. After they were cleaned it ran fine.
I sure hope this one I am doing will run when I get it back together. I drained the fuel rail when I pulled it and stored it wrapped in plastic. But its been close to a year now (long sad story) but I am finally getting things worked out and back into it. I gave up for a while as I had such a string of bad luck.
I was reading a thread on the forum here where a guy rebuilt/installed new motor and he couldn't get it started again and then he just quit posting; I PM'd him but no reply; scary. I want this beast back on the road; I miss it. My son gave up on it, so its mine now; it was sure nice before all the trouble started.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Winching

im also blowing the 40 amp fuse number 5 (cooling fans) under the hood by the expansion tank on a regular basis any ideas here?

Attached Thumbnails Heads off see pics...-fuse.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heads off see pics...