Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads off see pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The smoke you are experiencing is to much fuel being dumped into the cats, when it burns in the cat instead of the engine it turns a whitish grey and smells rich or like a foundry.
I would have to suspect a bad/leaky fuel injector.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay Spike I will pull the upper manifold and check all the injector connections tomorrow. from what your saying this could be causing all my current issues?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

RE: 40 amp blowing - all that is on that circuit is the one electric fan motor, unless wiring is non-stock (lights, amp, etc.). Might have a bad relay, it is R4; bad fan, or skinned wire.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
im also blowing the 40 amp fuse number 5 (cooling fans) under the hood by the expansion tank on a regular basis any ideas here?
I see there is another circuit a few fuses down with a 40 amp. As a comparison, with the battery disconnected, using an ohm meter with the fuse removed measure across the fuse terminals, and from each terminal to ground and see if there is any big difference in resistance and/or short, also repeat the measurements with the polarity swapped. I find its best to draw a diagram and record the measurements cause I get things mixed up easy in my head.

You might find a short fairly quickly that way. If you don't see anything obvious, setup your multi-meter for current/amps and with the battery reconnected and with the circuits "on" measure the current with the leads across the fuse terms and see if Fuse 5 is drawing too much current. Sometimes a fan motor that is loaded down (dry or worm bearings) will run high amps and blow the fuse by weakening it over time. Other times the current will spike and then again maybe it just blows when it turns on if there's an intermittent short across the windings. This particular Fuse 5 is the input/supply for the switching contacts for the cooling fan relay so it is possible the relay could be causing the spike/short/or ?. I do not have the relays memorized but after you locate it if there is another circuit with the same relay part number you could sub or swap them and see if the failure follows the relay.
Well, there's some stuff to try, post your results and if you don't find the problem we'll think of some more stuff to try.

When was the last time the fuse blew? Just curious. In the mean time I'll check in RAVE and see if there is something else I can think of to try.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
Okay Spike I will pull the upper manifold and check all the injector connections tomorrow. from what your saying this could be causing all my current issues?
I suspected the injectors in my first post. Oh well.

Last edited by 2001SE7; 12-18-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Winching

I found the relay in the Rave, its been blowing that fuse for months now. I will look into getting a new relay and see if that fixes it...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Winching

discovered this leak on the valve cover from the bottom of the hose that attaches to the valve cover that connects to the throttle body. I will replace the clamp tomorrow when I remove the upper intake to check the fuel injectors. It appears to be oil but am not certain...

Attached Thumbnails Heads off see pics...-8.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hard to tell by the picture but it looks like the throttle body heater is leaking, it is just above the hose you are talking about.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Could be oil, if from the crankcase vent system, see page from RAVE, the one on the passenger side has that oil separator that needs to be cleaned out with carb cleaner from time to time, or it will make pressure and vent oil in several places.

Could also be coolant from # 6 or # 7 on attached cooling diagram.

Good news is both are cheap fixes!

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
de2 pcv.PDF (394.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 1.PDF (679.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Winching

No leaks at throttle body heater, Savannah thanks for the diagrams...#6 and 7 are both tight with no leaks...I will check the oil separator when i take the valve covers off...would this cause whiteish smoke to come from exhaust?

Quick Reply: Heads off see pics...