Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe
But to say you should be able to visibly see a head gasket failure is ridiculous. As soon as you left the heads it screws up the surfaces on the gasket making it impossible to tell where there might have been an imperfection. Maybe on a power adder car where the gasket might be completely missing, but on something like this, no way.
I simply don't agree. I think you're trying to say that if the problem isn't a break in the gasket but simply head warpage causing the problem that you won't see that on the gasket or head. In my experience with any head gasket that is been on for more than a few thousand miles (with the problem present) it shows telltale signs of having coolant or oil shoved over or under places where it should not be going.

I didn't know how to read head gaskets that weren't obvious (holes in them) either until a local machinist showed me his blown gasket collection and taught me what to look for. It's now glaringly obvious to me. Maybe you need to find someone who can show you several of these types of failures on head gaskets and it will become obvious to you as well.

Also, any machinist worth dealing with is going to send you right back home to get the head gaskets from any heads you bring in to them for decking if there's any question at all about the source.