Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to the hose??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get to the hose??

Hey all,
I have been loosing a small amount of coolant for the past couple of months and I haven't had that much time to take a look at the truck so I have been simply topping it off every week or so. Today, I decided to give her a quick once over and I noticed that the coolant is coming down the front drivers side of the engine. It looks as though it is coming from up higher up in the engine bay so I think I have narrowed the search down to either the water pump gasket or the small coolant hose leading from the throttle body heater to the top of the engine. I think I might go ahead and replace the small hose and cross my fingers to see if that solves the problem but I don't see how I can get to it without tearing apart the engine. Is there a technique or do I just have to bite the bullet and start removing things. Thanks a lot. (PS I know it is not the throttle body heater because I have bypassed the system)

Here is a pic of the hose I am talking about. Another pic of the puddle I found next to the drivers side valve cover. And finally a pic of the front of the engine. Please advise if you have another idea as to where the coolant is coming from. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails How to get to the hose??-hose-1.jpg   How to get to the hose??-coolant-puddle.jpg   How to get to the hose??-engine-front.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it puddles on the valve cover, it's probably leaking at 1 of the 2 hoses at the throttle body. I would start by cutting the hose off 1/2" or so to get a fresh end and reclamp it with a screw type clamp on both hoses. There is a gasket there that is known to leak as well which can be replaced. The upper intake manifold has to come off to replace that one hose (which is easier than it looks). Might want to replace all your hoses if you're up around 100k miles.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do a coolant pressure test and you'll find your leak real quick.