Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Long Do I Have Left?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Add a glowshift pack adaptor, sensor and get a gauge. There is literally no what to know how long it will go, it could run for another 100000 km or die tomorrow.

But you can try a few simple things:
  1. Make sure it is an actually an oil tick - I am sure you have but it could be exhaust
  2. Up your oil weight, go to 20/50 does the tick vanish or lessen if so that will give you more time.
  3. Check your oil pressure there are kits that screw into the sensor port that will let test it - you can rent those then you know what you are dealing with
  4. Do the PCV mod or at least pull and clean the breather that can generate over pressure and cause problems
  5. There are oils with heavy detergent content you could run one for a couple of hundred KM and then change if you think have a lot of sludge
  6. Try an oil additive that reduces engine,tick while by no means a solution they also will give you an idea of severity. If they can not reduce it the problem could be severe.
It only ticks for about 10 seconds on startup, so I'm assuming it's just oil training away from the rockers when it's sitting. I definitely need to figure out the oil pressure though; I've got an ultragauge for the other stuff.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Jason Feuerstein I would try a bit heavier weight oil, so if you are running 10/40 go up to 15/40. But check your oil pressure cold and host if you can. @redwhitekat has a post re checking oil pressure with a rental gauge.

You could have a cracked oil pump, or slightly clogged pickup screen too, the oil pump is a pain to change because of location.

The following users liked this post:
Jason Feuerstein (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

@Jason Feuerstein I would try a bit heavier weight oil, so if you are running 10/40 go up to 15/40. But check your oil pressure cold and host if you can. @redwhitekat has a post re checking oil pressure with a rental gauge.

You could have a cracked oil pump, or slightly clogged pickup screen too, the oil pump is a pain to change because of location.

I had the oil pressure issue. Had my oil pump and front cover replaced and ran fine for 2 weeks. I let it sit for 12 days while I was on vacation cams back started it up and now having same oil pressure issue as before. Everyone is saying it’s the bearings.
For now my rig is parked and looking for another cheap winter beater. Not going to start spending money on this

Old 09-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm running 15W/40 at the moment. The ticking goes away quickly, so I'm not terribly worried about that right now, but major problems always start as small problems, so it's on my list of things to monitor. I'm not going to start panicking about a cracked pump until I check the pressure, but that's good to know as well. I'll make a note to drop my oil pan next time I do an oil change and clean the pickup screen off; even if it's not an issue, it surely can't hurt. I'll see about getting a rental gauge in the meantime.

Thanks!