Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idiots quest for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
what goes in.......
janspeed seems to be the p&p header solution. hedman is doable but fitted for rhd an may need y pipe bending and bungs.
sounding right?
problem is..... who sells these janspeed set ups? I don't even see them on there site. rpi is said to be a vendor, but not seeing it.
but I am a bit curious about noise. these things are already loud under hood. how much worse does it get? I have never put headers on a truck that I normally drive on road, as much as this one. I can silence, but would wrapping calm the under bonnet noise? I don't want to sound like I am trying to be a hot rod... it takes away from the 24" spinning dub things.
Wrapping them might quiten them down a little, but it will also cut the life of the headers in about half and it probably isn't worth the difference. I'm actually going to be putting a Todd Co set made for a D1 on my D2 because I'm getting a steal on the set at $150.

The y-pipe situation is that you will probably need almost a whole new y-pipe. I'm going to end up getting one custom made that will probably cost another $100-150 (re-use my Magnaflow cats).

The only way to really quiten down the exhaust is bigger mufflers. If you're going for quiet, then throw on a Borla Pro XL (not XS) and keep the factory resonator. You might be able to fit another resonator on each side of the new y-pipe and it should be overall pretty quiet. I daily drive kine with a Pro XS and no resonators, so that setup should be a million times more quiet.

Oh, and don't even mess with shorty headers. Long tubes or nothing because shorties don't really flow any better than the factory manifolds.

Edit: Changed re-sign to re-use. Damn auto correct.

Last edited by Alex_M; 10-27-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

roller rockers....where are you guys getting them? summit? I can't find em.
found what only looks like yella terra ones (not even a manufacturer name), from a uk/ trv performance place but holey moley they are the price of 4 sets of heads.

also if i'm going that far, how bout adjustable pushrods? worth it to dial in preload or just get a set of new steel ones?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

roller rockers....where are you guys getting them? summit? I can't find em.
found what only looks like yella terra ones (not even a manufacturer name), from a uk/ trv performance place but holey moley they are the price of 4 sets of heads.

also if i'm going that far, how bout adjustable pushrods? worth it to dial in preload or just get a set of new steel ones?
adjustable pushrods are to test the valve load, you want solid pushrods

Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

test...oh I see...I thought it was adjustable to set follower preload. so not like motorbike.

only needed if going form hydraulic to solid...correct

Last edited by dusty1; 10-27-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

alex, yeah trying to be unassuming in sound. so no go on wrap. muffling the back end is no biggie, but last truck I had headers on was loud loud up front after. a lot of differences though.
disco has a lot more sound insulation than scout.

those janspeeds are long pipe....still looking for dealers. didn't know about todd co ones.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

todd-co I believe are just reworked headmans

Old 10-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
todd-co I believe are just reworked headmans
That sounds right to me. The pictures look exactly the same.

alex, yeah trying to be unassuming in sound. so no go on wrap. muffling the back end is no biggie, but last truck I had headers on was loud loud up front after. a lot of differences though.
disco has a lot more sound insulation than scout.

those janspeeds are long pipe....still looking for dealers. didn't know about todd co ones.
Sounds good. I also shot you a video a few minutes ago so you could hear the lifters and I got my exhaust sound too, both driving and standing outside the truck. The video exaggerates the sound A LOT, but you can atleast get an idea of what they sound like. I personally don't think the lifters are hardly any louder than stock, but I'm also comparing that to lifters that were already ticking. I'll get it up in a bit.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Camel Trophy

test...I thought it was adjustable to set follower preload? no? if that is the case...solid it is
Yea. The adjustable ones are so you can see what length solid rods you need to order. Kinda sucks, permanent adjustable push rods would awesome.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, like bikes.
so needed for swapping from hydraulic to solid?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Title: http://youtu.be/29Ij8Dwe2Ek

Here you go, man. Just remember, the video makes it sound WAY louder than it actually is. The lifters are barely louder than stock.

Quick Reply: idiots quest for more power?