Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idiots quest for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

rollers and valve coming from v8tuner along with some hd push rods, but I don't know what to do on springs......?
this?
Heavy duty double valve springs for use with Crane or CC Spring Retainers.

These are suitable for most applications but not for over 6500 rpm. For Race springs please contact.

For fitting of inner springs - the valve guide boss may require machining inorder to allow the inner spring to sit at the same level as the outer spring.

Spring installed height is 1.54"
Pressure 75 Lbs @ 1.54"
Pressure @ 1.04" 200 lbs

Old 11-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
rollers and valve coming from v8tuner along with some hd push rods, but I don't know what to do on springs......?
this?
Heavy duty double valve springs for use with Crane or CC Spring Retainers.

These are suitable for most applications but not for over 6500 rpm. For Race springs please contact.

For fitting of inner springs - the valve guide boss may require machining inorder to allow the inner spring to sit at the same level as the outer spring.

Spring installed height is 1.54"
Pressure 75 Lbs @ 1.54"
Pressure @ 1.04" 200 lbs
When upgrading cams, always get dual springs. It's a must if you don't want a valve kissing a head due to floating. Well worth the money.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone used SBC springs with no machining needed to spring seat. Close to 100lbs at installed height I think.
Can't remember who but it was here and not too long ago.
Not sure if that's what you are looking for or if they will work for you.

also wanted to mention, Turner engineering has King lead copper rod bearings if you are planning to get the crank turned or polished (which I'm sure you are). If not LC bearings probably wouldn't be a good choice. They only last on a new or perfectly machined/polished crank.

What I understand from the research I've done, most of the silicon aluminum bearings you see around are made in India and not consistent. Some are way off from what I hear. King bearings made in Israel are much better quality.

Aluminum are better for someone just slapping bearings in with no prep work. The silicon in the bearings polish the crank and do some of the work for someone just wanting to cut corners. I wouldn't use them in an engine like you are building.

If the crank is right then lead copper is the way to go. If Turner uses them in their engines, I figure they are worth ordering from over there and they are not very expensive, like $30 or $35 US I think plus shipping.
You may be able to find the King rod bearings stateside but will probably be higher than from Turner even after shipping. I remember seeing some awhile back for around $100.

The main thing I've always heard is stay away from any engine bearings made in India. Genuine King will have Israel stamped in the back.

BTW, Turner doesn't advertise them as King but I talked to them and they said that their rod bearings are King and what they use.

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/a.../info_388.html

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/4.6V8.html

Last edited by RicketyTick; 11-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Don't mess about Dusty just lock onto one of these ............... more power than most anyone can handle.

Way Back Wednesday Video: Allen Hartley's "Double Vision" Dragster - Dragzine

Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
When upgrading cams, always get dual springs. It's a must if you don't want a valve kissing a head due to floating. Well worth the money.
Also good to eliminate valve bounce at top end revs and better gas seal if springs are good and progressive. Problem though, wipes out the seats and valve seat rims quicker ........... hmmm ............... nothing for nothing in this world though

Old 11-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Also good to eliminate valve bounce at top end revs and better gas seal if springs are good and progressive. Problem though, wipes out the seats and valve seat rims quicker ........... hmmm ............... nothing for nothing in this world though
dont know about this on rover engines but never hear of it affecting an LSx

Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

why would you build a topend to rev to 6500, when you rev limiter is going to shut it down a 5400.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
hoping for a double check so I don't order wrong.....looks like rhoads original are the only ones offered for non adjustable valves.....so that is the only option from them.

Backpack Option

Add Super Lube Groove?Super Lube Groove(+$29)No Thanks

BUICK V8 9698
ORIGINAL FITS: Buick 1970-80, 301, 350, 455; (1961-up, 215) Cadillac 1967-86, All; Olds 1975-77, 301, 350X

View Cart Check Out

this look right?
Yep, looks right to me.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
dont know about this on rover engines but never hear of it affecting an LSx
Valve bounce is common with high lift, long dwell, sharp ramp cams but I've never tuned a Rover engine so don't know any specifics. With the Rover in a truck I'd be tuning for max torque and not so much BHP although every tuner says BHP is god.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap
why would you build a topend to rev to 6500, when you rev limiter is going to shut it down a 5400.
You can readjust any rev limiter to what you want if it's programmable and the bottom end with take the strain. If not, change the rev limiter to a programmable chip.

Have to admit rods through blocks make a terrible expensive mess and don't even go there if the crank crumbles ................... lunchtime in hell

Quick Reply: idiots quest for more power?