Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignorance in this case, isn't bliss. What to check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorance in this case, isn't bliss. What to check?

When my wife and I were looking to buy our first car, she suggested to me Land Rover Discovery. I thought the car was .... well.... ugly. But after we found and test drove a few of them, I was hooked!

Anyway, we bought a (NAS) 1998 Land Rover Discovery I with 89k miles. Everything seems to be fine with it except some cosmetics which I repaired, and an oil leak.

My question is, where should I start on finding where the leak is originating? Are there typical problem spots I should check first? What price ranges (US$) might I be looking at to get it repaired?

One last thing. It came with only one set of keys. If I get another handset (most likely used), can I have the original, and the new one both callibrated/programmed to work on the car?

I really appreciate the advice! This car is simply amazing off-road. It destroyed both of my friends' cars (explorer and trailblazer)!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ignorance in this case, isn't bliss. What to check?

one thing you can do is clean the engine first and monitor it to see where the leak is coming from. If you never have washed an engine be aware of the electrical systems and anything else that doesn't look like it should get wet. Common sense should prevail. When the truck is parked can you see any drips, at a clean spot in your driveway is the oil drippipng from the front or the back?
I had a 96 dI that had a leak from the oil cooler lines and the power steering lines. The leak appeared to be coming from the front and when I investigated I noticed the power steering lines were leaking at the fittings. Upon further investigating I found the oil lines as well. The lines were a lil pricey cause I bought them from the dealer. I was in a hurry, but atlantic british is a good source of parts for the rover. do a search and you will come up with a few other places that will be good for aftermarket parts.
anyway hope that was a lil helpful.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

For the leak, you might want to power scrub the engine area, don't get the ECU wet, and then look for the leak, put some newspaper under the truck to catck and help locate the leak, also check to see what color is the fluid.
Mike

Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: BYURover

My question is, where should I start on finding where the leak is originating? Are there typical problem spots I should check first? What price ranges (US$) might I be looking at to get it repaired?

I found that as mine turned 10 years old the rubber parts, hoses of all kinds oil, antifreeze,
ATF, gasoline, cruise control vacuum lines, all needed to be replaced it did not cost alot,
but just a heads up. I did the work myself all the parts cost about $400.

One last thing. It came with only one set of keys. If I get another handset (most likely used), can I have the original, and the new one both callibrated/programmed to work on the car?

If you have a owners manual it will tell you what to do when you replace the battery in the
handset, the used one will work the same way.
I you don't have a book let me know amd I will look it up in mine.
The other thing I found is that it takes time to relearn the new handset/ battery the more its
used the better it gets.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
4wd Low

For the leak, you might want to power scrub the engine area, don't get the ECU wet
Where is the ECU? is there a good way to ensure it remians dry? to clarify, can a plastic bag be taped around it?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Bag it, on it on the passenger side of the firewall.
Mike

Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: BYURover

For the leak, you might want to power scrub the engine area, don't get the ECU wet
Where is the ECU? is there a good way to ensure it remians dry? to clarify, can a plastic bag be taped around it?
Under a black plastic cover next to the window washer jug.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM
4wd Low

So I took another look at it last night, and it looks like I can trace oil all the way up to (if you're standing at the front of the car looking under the hood) theleft rocker, the part closest to the front of the car. I can't confirm that's where it is, there is a bunch of other stuff in the way. I'm getting about 3-4 drips a day on the driveway. Oil was changed a few weeks before I bought the car, and the level is still good.

What is my next step? do I get a new gasket and start pulling things apart? (keep in mind I am not an extremely-well-versed mechanic, I have tools, and do basic repairs, am I out of me league?)

Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ok, I just went through this. You have to take off the fuel lines, plug wires and loosen the bracket for the heater hoses. This is for the passenger side valve cover gasket. It turns out my leak was coming from the oil pressure switch. It is a little sensor on the engine just above the oil filter. Is the oil dripping off of the filter?

The switch is $13 (easy to replace) and the gasket is about $40--dealer only item (PITA to change).

I'll try to post pics of where to clean and check for leaks.

Good luck!