Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im Back!!!!! First Order

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
Who are you replying to?
I was commenting on the AB description of the lights.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I was commenting on the AB description of the lights.
Eric of Rovers North told me that those safari 5000 driving lamps are useless. I told him I was looking for something to improve visibility during blizzards so suggested the Hella 500 driving lamps. He said most driving lamps including the safari 5000 have a longer distance pencil thin light (apparently useless in snow storms). IIn any case this is only the first of 3 orders I'm submitting. I figured I'd get afew mods installed to ease my pain of having no ace..... but next 2 orders are going towards things the disco really needs. Gonna replace both rear tail lights, rear wiper motor, crankshaft position sensor, exhaust gasket, ebrake shoes, secondary air reservoir, front passenger seat switch motor, drivers side rear door seals, new hing for cargo door and new 18" aggressive all season tires.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Madlands
From seeing some of the issues you've had along the way I'd also be shopping for a parts vehicle while you're in the spending mood!
In defense of my Disco, let me clarify my recent situation: Half a year ago my wallet was tight and I had more financial obligations to deal with. The only reason I got this Disco in the first place was because the seller was selling the truck for much lower then its book value and she was VERY nice to allow me to make payments on it. I had been looking for a nice 2004 Disco for long time and was very desperate to get my hands on it. Sheer luck the seller lived only afew hours north in same state. Even when I paid off the seller and took the truck home I still did not have nearly enough $$$$ to get it up to date with service. Truck had 130k at the time and only major thing it needed was the brake pads replaced and a secondary air reservoir. Lack of funds so I held off on the pads, consequently they got thinner then the rotors went, followed by the booster. Domino effect and I would have saved $$$ had I just bought a cheap set of brake pads to get me by.... all my fault there. Since then the only issues I've had with the truck is the brake light switch ($25), crankshaft position sensor ($100) and the rear wiper motor just **** the bed. Not really a big deal and all cheap parts to replace. Yes I did replace the front calipers, all pads and rotors, replaced master cylinder and even the front pripshaft. Did not need to add all those parts but I have a bad habbit to go all out when I have the extra $$$$ so again that's my own dam fault. I had a hard time installing the new brakes, also had hard time with rear propshaft rebuild kit and cps
but again that's my own fault cause I'm inexperienced. Now I'm adding even more **** that I don't need. All by choice because I live my truck and I love buying new parts for it. All in all my Disco has been pretty good to me. Not much to complain about yet, I just need to get better tools, read the rave more and learn how to do more DIY work.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Eric of Rovers North told me that those safari 5000 driving lamps are useless. I told him I was looking for something to improve visibility during blizzards so suggested the Hella 500 driving lamps. He said most driving lamps including the safari 5000 have a longer distance pencil thin light (apparently useless in snow storms).
So why in heck are they listing them as "driving/fog"?
Read this What are Fog Lamps Really For?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Eric of Rovers North told me that those safari 5000 driving lamps are useless. I told him I was looking for something to improve visibility during blizzards so suggested the Hella 500 driving lamps. He said most driving lamps including the safari 5000 have a longer distance pencil thin light (apparently useless in snow storms)
Originally Posted by antichrist
So why in heck are they listing them as "driving/fog"?
Read this What are Fog Lamps Really For?
I don't think we list them at all, but if we have a mistake somewhere let me know. Or are you thinking he's referring to AB and not RN?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 PM
TReK

Atlantic British is selling the safari 5000 driving lamps, not RN. I was just saying how a RN rep advised aginst buying them -in general.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Or are you thinking he's referring to AB and not RN?
Yeah, I missed the "of Rovers North".

something to improve visibility during blizzards
In any case, did you read the link I provided? Way too many people don't know the difference, including AB it seems, since they use "driving" and "fog" interchangeably. I'm assuming you didn't understand the difference either since you were also. If you really want something for fog/snowing conditions you're very likely to end up with something unsuitable unless you understand the difference between driving lamps and fog lamps.

BTW, Hella makes a fog lamp in their 500 series. I had a pair of their rectangular 550 series yellow fog lamps when I lived in Vermont and quite liked them. Pretty much like the ones AB has on closeout for $99.

Last edited by antichrist; 07-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.