Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to punt on the 00. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I'm going to punt on the 00. Need some advice.

Well, I can't really figure out what the issue with the 00 is. A couple months ago out of the blue it lost power and the vacuum was gone so had it towed home. The engine was loud as a truck too. Didnt run hot and no codes. I figured maybe a cat got really clogged and wasn't able to push out the exhaust and was backing up into the intake. That day, I did seafoam and noticed there were leaks by the downpipe (always was a little). I tightened them up, then she wouldn't start at all. I decided to tinker around a little the other day and undid both downpipes. Cranked it and still nothing. Popping coming from intake. I figure maybe somehow the timing jumped or who knows. Regardless, I don't need it and don't have time to play around.
I'm thinking time to get rid of it. I assume I will sell it as a parts car or project. Just wanted to get some thoughts and pricing maybe. Here are the basics:
2000, 140k, cold weather package, HK, sunroofs, ACE, clean title
Engine as above, but ran good before. All new cooling system a year old (hoses, rad, pump, fan, clutch, shroud, grey stat, green coolant). Head gaskets 30k ago.
Transmission good. Fluid done often, filter a year ago.
New prop shaft 2 years ago
New rear brakes and rotors 6 months ago, new Abekeno pads up front with less than 500 miles.
Brush guard and Hella driving lights (guard with some rust, lights wired thru relay to high beams)
Running boards, Hurricane wheels, rear light guards, ladder, tint all around, wood dash kit, cargo cover.
Needs: an ACE hose got knocked, so bypassed the pump with a regular belt, dent in driver's door thanks to wifey, a few dents in the hood and a small dent in the back, rear passenger door lock doesn't work with power, middle rear seat belt froze up so I removed it (and made ski pass thru). Otherwise, good shape and was my daily rig and my ski truck. It has newer A/T tires, but was going to swap those onto my 04 and put OE size Michelin ones from the 04 on it (unless someone wanted as it and made it worth my while).
If I had time to part it I would, but that just isn't going to happen. Plus, it might not be even a huge issue. So, thoughts on pricing it out as is?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Where is it located?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why didn't you check the compression, both wet and dry. Your lack of vacuum comes from your internal compression and how the engine is running.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Why didn't you check the compression, both wet and dry. Your lack of vacuum comes from your internal compression and how the engine is running.
The engine isn't running. Won't turn over now. Prior to that was running fine, and no major disasters when it started to give issues. I just simply have not had the time to check things further. It has been sitting in my driveway for months with me saying I will fix it, but the weather was crap, I was coaching wrestling 4 times a week, traveling 3 days a week for business, etc. I finally got to mess with it last weekend, but I have 100 other things I need to do around here, and I've been on a plane every week lately. When home, we have lacrosse and I have 2 little kids I would rather be spending time with. I want a boat for family time this summer, and just will need the room in the driveway. I felt compression when I pulled each plug, but didn't test at that point. If I can get a friend in the next week or so to come help with it, I will. I'm just not sure how much it will help the value of a 13 year old truck.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Where is it located?
Morris County, NJ

Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is the original https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...w-truck-57437/post when the issues started Mike:

Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, you'll be needing parking space for the boat.......

Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

That sounds a lot like an engine that jumped time. Loss of vacuum, intake blowback...

Either that or you dropped an intake valve or two.

Good luck with it either way.