Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys and security

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021 | 12:15 PM
TReK

I have a metal key for a backup, I found that the hardware store didn't cut the key correctly twice so I went to an actual locksmith with a kiosk who took one look and said yeah... hardware store don't know their s#*t... Cut me two copies for cheaper than the one at the hardware... I'd seek out a real locksmith.

Old 03-08-2021 | 07:28 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Well this is helpful. I am thinking keep fob key in the center console just in case and carry a regular key. I might get a plain key cut and run some tests.

Old 03-08-2021 | 08:30 PM
|
Three Wheeling

What about this? Anyone ever use it? Would it bypass the immobilizer?

https://www.roverparts.com/engine/ig.../QRF000080ABP/

Old 03-08-2021 | 09:00 PM
TReK

I would think you would want a matching door handle cylinder so the same key does everything.

Old 03-09-2021 | 01:09 PM
Winching

Zacharyz28

That ignition key will not by pass the immobilizer. It is just a physical key and offered as a replacement since those key cylinders have known to go bad.

The immobilizer is really the car computer and the engine computer communicating with each other. There is no work around to remove this.

I do have some new information that contradicts some earlier posts but with some explaining.

The physical key for the door will set and unset the alarm and immobilizer.

My D2 is a little different. I used a Land Rover dedicated computer called the Nanocom to change an internal setting in the cars main computer. I enabled an option known as the EKA. This allows me to turn off the alarm and immobilizer by using the physical key in the door and inputting a code. This is a great option if the fob is lost. As a result it does not allow the key to turn off the alarm and the immobilizer when normal getting in and out of the D2. It only turns off the alarm but the engine is still immobilized. It's for enhanced security and has it's plus and minuses.

That's why where was some confusion of my D2 and Redrover's physical key would not turn off the immobilizer. We had turned on the EKA code.

From the factory this setting was not turned on from Land Rover for USA D2s. This why Mollusa's turns off the immobilizer and your's will too.

But now for the Alarm.

I am unsure if the physical key will turn off the alarm if the alarm is tripped. I purchased my D2 from a salvage auction. At purchase the battery was gone. When I put a new battery in it the alarm immediately went off. When I put the key into the ignition it did not turn off the engine. One of the buttons worked on the fob and this turned off the alarm. I did not try to lock and unlock the door with the physical key to see if this would have turned off the alarm.

Anyway, hope this help.

I still think it's a good thing to get a working fob regardless if you plan to only use the physical key.

Old 03-09-2021 | 01:14 PM
TReK

The physical key turns off the alarm.

Old 03-10-2021 | 10:36 AM
Camel Trophy

YES!!!

Shout out and THANK YOU to keninnc for figuring out that enabling EKA (emergency key access) makes it impossible to unlock the truck and start it using the "physical" key only.

Here's a link to my post this morning in my related thread.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post764811

Thanks keninnc!!!