Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise at cold start

I've got a '02 Disco II 4ltr V8 & recently I am noticing when I start the vehicle first thing in the morning it has an aggressive knocking noise for a few seconds until the oil pump has kicked in. Still if you rev the motor when the car's in neutral it still has a very slight knock until the motor has warmed up. When the motor has finally warmed up it all seems fine. It did not do this I believe when I bought the car in approx 2008. It only has 150,000klms on the clock. Can any one give me any advise please?
Thank you.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Could be a number of things, from weak oil pump (a pressure test can be done by removing the switch that turns on the oil light - or a guage can be installed using products from vendors like Glowshift) - to lower end brearings.

Would suggest you at a minimum change to 20W50 oil (you can use that until it gets down to freezing), and add a bottle of Lucas oil treatment. That's a very thick oil product that increases the cold viscosity, and prevents "dry starts" in some situations. It is important to note that these won't fix the problem, they will at best reduce the level of damage until you can do more diagnostics and effect repairs.

Noises are seldom cheap to eliminate. Would not be revving engine. Let vehicle warm up fully before moving out of idle, or drive another vehicle. I'm sure there will be other opinions that you should not use any additives, immediately tear down engine or have it towed to a shop, etc. And it may be a serious repair. But the oil pump is probably the cheapest thing that it would be, and the longer you allow it to make noise the more precious metal is eaten away somewhere.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your oil pump is always "kicked in", if the engine is turning the oil pump is pumping oil.
Without knowing where you live I have no idea how cold it is, but your cold start noise sounds exactly like a engine that is being starved of oil, which running to thick of a oil will cause.
As well as a faulty oil bypass or a cheap/bad/worn out oil filter.

So lets start with the basics, what brand and weight of motor oil are you using?
Where do you live? Is it hot or cold right now? How hot/cold?
Do you change the oil or do you have it done? And if you know what brand of oil filter?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What brand of oil filter are you using, some, like Fram allow you oil to drain from the pump and filter back into the crank case causing dry starts in the mornings.
I wouldn't worry about what oil weight you are using for now but more so the oil pressure.
If the oil filter is not the issue then I would suggest you have an oil pressure test performed, cold at idle and 2000 RPM's and hot at idle and 2000 RPM's. Get back to us with the 4 sets of numbers.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for all your advice. Currently I am using 15W40 oil & good quality non genuine filter. I regularly change it all myself. It is currently winter here but doesn't get cold enough to freeze the oil here even at coldest point. I realise there is other things we have to do first but worst case scenario, if I have to change the oil pump, can it be done without removing the motor & if so, how is it done down to the finest details?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, get away from the junk oil filters, some have a tendency to allow all the oil to flow back into the crank case over night causing a dry start when cold starting.
Might also want to do an oil pressure test, cold at idle and 2000 RPM's as well as hot at idle and 2000 RPM's then get back to us with the numbers.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 AM
5th Gear

Hi, thanks for your reply again.
If I do the oil pressure test, can you please advise what sort of PSI is recommended for the V8 4ltr at hot & cold temperatures? Cheers.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts