Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first time transmission fluid/filter change-----tips and advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first time transmission fluid/filter change-----tips and advice needed!

never done this before on a Rover---
1) any additional small parts I should replace while I'm "down there?" (washers, nuts, gaskets?)
2) anything to "watch out" for?
3) what type/brand of ATF to use? Is there one that's preferable to the stock fluid?
Bought the vehicle at 35K, it's at 90K and never had transmission checked/serviced. or had the fluid changed.
thanks guys

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You are wise to do at this time. A high miles rated fluid will include some mild additives to swell up some seals ever so slightly, which is a good thing. You also won't get all the fluid on the first drain out because some remains in the torque converter. In a few days you can drain and re-fill, and repeat, and eventully it is all new. But just one change is a heck of a lot better than the inattention most get.

Be careful in that tranny pan bolts are not as strong as you may think.

Cleanliness is good. Not wise to do this outside on a windy dust blowing around day.

Need all the parts, O rings, washers, etc. that should be replaced. Pages from RAVE attached, you'll see that in typical Rover fashion, information can be had, but seldom all on the same page. Will need some Torx drivers.

While under there, before job starts, locate the shift switch on the driver side of tranny. Locate AC drain tube that drips on the XYZ switch. Reroute or extend drain.

You have also changed your transfer case fluid? It is certainly in the neighborhood... some go back with 85W150 synthetic for quiter operation.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 tranny oil fill.pdf (572.0 KB, 548 views)
d2 tranny sump.pdf (1.04 MB, 320 views)
d2 ranny pan 1.pdf (722.2 KB, 295 views)
d2 tranny filter 1.pdf (708.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its pretty much a nuts and bolts deal.
The hardest part is refilling the trans.
I prefer Valvoline Maxlife.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

MaxLife is the way to go./
If you are not planning on killing your tranny, you better start changing the fluid every 25,000 miles or loose it.
Since it has be neglected for so long, buy 11 quarts of ATF and 1 bottle of Lucas tranny additive.
Drain the pan, install a new filter, reinstall fill the pan, start the engine, shift drive to reverse, back to park and while the engine is running refill the extra amount need to top it off.
Then shift park to Reverse back and forth for 30 seconds or so and repeat the process all over again, this time adding the Lucas.
So what about the rest of your truck, if, as neglected, go to the top of this section and do the entire Major service as posted.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Mudding

is the ATF dex/merc?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From the shop manuals, capacities -

Automatic Gearbox:
Use Texamatic 9226, ATF

Dexron 11D or Dexron 111 for refill and topping-up (think in this country we would call that is Dexron 2D or IID or III or 3, "111" is not typical).

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kpl1228
is the ATF dex/merc?
Yes, it is labeled Dex/Merc, if you read the back it will say Dexron III, which is what you need.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Mudding

Ok guys: another favor-----the local Rover dealer's parts dept. is spotty at best, as they focus on Toyotas and Mazdas and do very little with Rovers. So I feel more comfortable asking you (after a long call yesterday). Here's what I know I need for the transmission fluid change based on your comments and my picking thru the RAVE manual:

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/merc ATF
Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner
ZF Automatic Transmission filter kit from Atlantic British: incl filter, gaskets
new trans drain plug (why not)
drain plug washer
OK---WHAT ELSE? I know there's got to be more. It's a Rover.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Team Owner

Forget the Lucas, unless you are having trans problems save your time and money.
That stuff is snake oil designed to help you get by until you can fix it properly.
No problems...dont use it.

You got it otherwise, AutoZone also sells the filter kit.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Mudding

Would you believe...I got under the truck to do the tranny fluid and filter....all bolts rusted solid. The local Rover guy said well, after the first 30K they should change the fluid and filter but after that YOU SHOULD NEVER CHANGE THE FILTER! Amazing. He also said he won't work on uit if the bolts ar rusted on solid because then if one breaks you'll need a new tranny.
Just thought I should post it.......

Quick Reply: My first time transmission fluid/filter change-----tips and advice needed!