Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My recent engine tick problem and the fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My recent engine tick problem and the fix

Hey everyone. I just want to share my recent experience with a loud ticking noise that I thought may have been the dreaded cylinder liner tick. Hopefully this can help someone diagnose their ticking if they think it's a liner too. So for no apparent reason the engine starting making a ticking noise that followed engine rpm. It was coming from the front left side of the engine (front drivers side). It sounded like it was coming from the head so I immediately thought the worst, or a bad hydraulic lifter or something. It made the noise sometimes only when warm, and sometimes all the time even on cold startup, but it seemed to get worse after driving 15 miles or so. To diagnose the problem I removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine for just a few seconds (don't run it long as the water pump won't be turning). The noise stopped when I did this so I knew it wasn't an internal engine problem. The noise was coming from around the power steering pump so I tried spinning that by hand and it seemed to make a slight noise. That narrowed it down for me so I changed the pump and all is well now. The power steering itself never showed any signs of failure and it still worked great while making the noise, even offroading. I also tried flushing the fluid first but that didn't help. Sorry for the short book but hopefully this will save someone from getting engine work done that's unneeded.

The following 2 users liked this post by spazmoid:
JUKE179r (07-05-2018), RoverFL (04-03-2015)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's great info, and not costly/difficult to check. I tried lifters/exhaust leak/oil pump...nada. I did not try that one before buying my new long block, but alas, with the same old steering pump but new engine, the ticking is gone on mine. I'd be really ticked (pun!) if it was the steering pump at this point!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One more for the list.Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Another spot for the every useful yard stick, hold one end to item in question and flat side to your ear....

Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Another spot for the every useful yard stick, hold one end to item in question and flat side to your ear....
Thats true. I used a harbor freight stethoscope which I forgot to mention. The noise was loudest on the accessory bracket

Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Awesome idea. I didn't even know the PS pump could tick.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sleeves tick, oil pump cracks and can tick, PS pump tick, wierd problems under valve covers tick, exhaust leak ticks, spark coil wires break down and tick, and the rarest of all - the mechanic who leaves his calling card.....

Attached Thumbnails My recent engine tick problem and the fix-100_2422.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Sleeves tick, oil pump cracks and can tick, PS pump tick, wierd problems under valve covers tick, exhaust leak ticks, spark coil wires break down and tick, and the rarest of all - the mechanic who leaves his calling card.....
It's even worse when a doctor does that. "Has anyone seen my iPhone?"

Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The OP of this thread explained exactly what just happened to my power steering pump on my drive home from work yesterday. My 100$ used pump lasted almost two years (can't complain). I called around, only used pump I can find wouldn't be here for a few days and it cost 125.00 (not going this route). Then I found a re-man Cardone pump for 207.00 with lifetime warranty, be here in the morning. At the very least, every time I need a pump, it will be covered I suppose??? hahaahahaha

Anyone running a Cardone rebuilt pump? Or did I just lose.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I've used cardone in the past non-rover without issues.

Quick Reply: My recent engine tick problem and the fix